HELP! Comet betta (Calloplesiops) ate possum wrasse?

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish' started by blacksesame, Nov 9, 2019.

1. blacksesame

blacksesame New Member

Hi ive had this comet (medium large size) for over a year now and hes a beautiful and tough fish, has been eating pellets since before i had him. He has only been totally ok with the clowns (one of them in quite juvenile).

I ive started a new tank wanted to introduce some small more fish and purchased a tiny possum wrasse last week. He was so cute and made himself comfortable in the tank right away after QT. He seemed happy and was eating the first 4 days. I had to go away for a few days and when i came back the wrasse had dissapeared. No sign of bones or a body outside the tank so i don't think he jumped. My only guess is that the comet must have eaten him if he was hungry. I did have my neighbor feed the 2nd day but ive read they will eat smaller fish. I just thought since the small clown was ok and hes been eating pellets for so long and he seemed very peaceful that he wouldnt.

Anyone have one of these any has this been a problem?

Ive gone through alot to bring move him to my new house (9 hour drive) and am a little attatched... im also real bummed about the wrasse and want to replace him asap[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

2. DaveK

DaveK Well-Known Member

This is really tough to tell. Wrasses are excellent jumpers, so it may have gotten out and you just haven't found it yet. It's also possible that it died and the rest of the livestock tore it apart. It could have also been the comet beta eating it. Possum wrasses can be shy, so it may be hiding, and might show up. This is one of those things where you'll just never know for sure.

blacksesame likes this.
  3. blacksesame

blacksesame New Member

Yea ive seached the tank pretty well, not many dead spots. Cuc could have just got to him fast. Might not be worth the risk anyway and be safer to try trade the comet in since im lookin at smaller fish. Thanks

4. blacksesame

blacksesame New Member

Im also gonna builda canopy to stop jumpers i think

5. DaveK

DaveK Well-Known Member

Better still, build a mesh cover for the tank. That way you get all the benifits of open top and it's a lot easier to deal with compared to a canopy.