colt fragging-anyone tried this?

rckmtl

So when i go looking online and in books for colt fragging info, every place gives advice on how to attach a frag to a rock so that it will not keep falling off.

I've been trying a couple diffrent ways, but so far with all of them, the wound on the frag from cutting it from the colony doesn't seem to heal well.

however, the frags that I let just lay loose on gravel, that way you would with mushrooms, heal in a couple days.

I've been wondering if it would be easier and more productive to just let them attach on thier own instead of stabbing/netting/ect...

Has anyone here tried this? Or do they not attach well unless they are held against a rock?
Thanks for any info.

tx29fan

I have had the best luck with the plastic toothpick and rubberband method. I keep the wound away from the new rock so it can heal quicker.

Cougra

I've used the toothpick/elastic method of attaching colts to a rock as well and found that it worked fairly well. The last colt that I fragged I was able to get it to attach to a rock by using a gel type crazy glue. I had to clean the surface of the coral so that it wasn't very slimy (not on the wound part) and then glue it to the rock. I found that this one attached quicker then the previous ones as well. However I have to say I've only done that once and I may have been lucky because I've heard a lot of reports of the glue not working well on colts.

Tarasco

tx29fan said:
I have had the best luck with the plastic toothpick and rubberband method. I keep the wound away from the new rock so it can heal quicker.
Same thing I did. Worked very well.

rckmtl

yeah, the toothpick method does seem to be the most popular. Maybe from what I read I had been expecting the frags to heal faster then they do.

I've got three that are on toothpicks right now. It's been about two weeks and the wound is just starting to heal(water parm's are all good). But I also had them pushed near the rock. maybe I had them too close and they weren't getting good water flow around the cut.

has anyone ever had good results just letting them attach to gravel though? or bad results?