Color on my Ultra Maxima Clam??

jfenton954

My ultra maxima clam isn't as bright as it use to be. It use to be a bright teal now it is a dull blue. Its been in my tank for 3 1/2 months. I do a 10% water change every week. Not that many corals in my tank. It's under 2 x 250w mh 4 x 54w t5 actinics in a 75g tank. What would cause the color to fade?

Nitrates 0
Ammonia 0
PH 8.15
Alk 9
Cal 450

steved13

PREMIUM
Try looking at it from different angles, such as from top down or a different side. The crystals in the tissues will change the color from different viewing angles.

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
Do you target feed? Maybe vary the diet a bit?

Otherwise, I'd try some glitter from the crafts store :D

....Salt Changes Everything....

steved13

PREMIUM
I take it your seeing a color change from different angles but they're still dull? I've never seen a clam that didn't look different from the top as compared to the side.
Maybe your bulbs are getting near replacement time and have shifted?

jfenton954

Just replaced bulbs. 250w 14k

c6e4c89d-8be1-9cb3.jpg

c6e4c89d-8c01-49a4.jpg

c6e4c89d-8c18-54b4.jpg

steved13

PREMIUM
I'm not an expert, but it doesn't look healthy to me. Does the mantle usually extend further or is that it?

I would treat it for pinched mantle, with a fresh water dip.

Here's a good article, with instructions for the dip:
Pinched Mantle Syndrome in Giant Clams

Smaller clams are tougher to keep. Many say you need to feed them until they are larger.

jfenton954

I've had him for 3 1/2 months an he's never opened further than that. I was told that smaller clams don't open that far.

steved13

PREMIUM
I've had him for 3 1/2 months an he's never opened further than that. I was told that smaller clams don't open that far.

I never mentioned anything about how far it's opened. I'm talking about how little the mantle is extended. If you google images you'll see almost every open clam has the mantle extending and the edge of the shell is covered. Yours is not extending it's mantle. IMO It looks like something is irritating it.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
First step is a wc. Something feels awry.

....... I'm Matt n im a reefaholic.

Roots

I'm not an expert, but it doesn't look healthy to me. Does the mantle usually extend further or is that it?

I would treat it for pinched mantle, with a fresh water dip.

Here's a good article, with instructions for the dip:
Pinched Mantle Syndrome in Giant Clams

Smaller clams are tougher to keep. Many say you need to feed them until they are larger.
Excellent link. I enjoyed the article. I recently got my first Tridacna Clam. So far no issues with mine, but it's always good to be armed with as much knowledge as possible.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Clams don't need to be target fed they derive most of their energy from their zooxanthellae and dissolved organics. I agree with Steve that clam looks in bad shape although from the photos it doesn't appear to be PM but they are out of focus so I can't say for sure. Have you checked for Pyramid snails ?

fruit bat

they derive most of their energy from their zooxanthellae and dissolved organics.

I agree, and with your nitrates at zero there are very few dissolved organics in the water column.. I try to keep my nitrates under 4ppm but never as low as zero