Colonial tunicates and sea squirts

Blndbunny

Ok looking for some guidance in keeping these critters happy and healthy

My live rock in ny new tank is covered in colonial tunacites, I can see at least 4 color variations. When I received the rock, they were rather flat, and looked like putty on the rocks. Now at nearly 24 hours they all look rather full, they wiggle in the current, and I can see all kinds of tiny little holes. I'd say right right now that they look happy, is this a correct assumption?

I also received 3 (that I've found so far) rather large sea squirts. Two look are orange red and look like human hearts, and the third is is more colors shaped, primarily organize but with some purple veins(?). Since they have been in the tank, they have also filled up and look nice and full, and occasionally contract and then expand. Yeah it looks like I hearts beating in my tank.

I know that these are all difficult creatures to maintain in a tank, and I'm not expecting miracles but I want to do my best. This tank is running as a full Zeo tank, it's a 40g cube display, with about 5 addition gallons in the sump. Right from the Begining of the cycle I have been dosing Sponge Power, this is a food specifically designed for sponges, tunicates clams and other filter feeders. I currently have a sicce syncra 2 pump as my return pump and a single hydor (850gph) for flow. I also have a jebao RW-8 to add to add a varied flow, once I start moving my corals into this tank.

My concern is how will I know that these animals are happy, what should I watch for? Any info would be appreciated. Thank you

Oxylebius

:camera:
+1 - would like to see pics of which ones you have.

They are all filter feeders and will need to eat several times a day, ideally. Most do better in established tanks w/lots of stuff floating in the water column. They will be a great addition to your filtration system, as they continuous pass water thru their system. I'd blow off the rocks 2-3x daily to get the particles into the water column and supplement their feeding w/several types of foods designed for filter feeders (their are lots on the market to choose from). I'd also try to target feed each one daily w/filter feeder foods. Buy a long pipette to deliver the food with.

Some info on husbandry here on coralscience.org - http://www.coralscience.org/main/articles/reef-species-2/tunicates

DaveK

Being realistic, colonial tunicates and sea squirts are almost impossible to keep going any length of time, even in a well established system.

There is nothing wrong with trying though. As pointed out they are filter feeders and need an almost constant food supply.

I recommend that you feed several times a day, but go easy on the feedings. Also, don't make major changes just for the colonial tunicates and sea squirts if this will mean hurting your chances at long term success. It's better to loose them than it is to loose livestock you can keep.

Blndbunny

Thanks everyone, it's all matching up with the research I've done. I know that they are near impossible but since they came in on my live rock, I will do my best. I will be sure to blow off rocks and feed the tank. I'm currently testing daily knowing that they are sensitive.

I will add pics tomorrow once my lights are back up. On the plus side the colonial tunicates had better brighter colors today, I will call that a success so far :)

Does anyone know how to tell when they are happy vs pouting?

Blndbunny

Ok here are some pictures. This first one was taken on day one in the front center is one of the colonial tunicates. In the back round on either side you can see two of the large sea squirts
15872133310_f1246ac59b.jpg
[/url] image by jessica_haering, on Flickr[/IMG]

Here is a pic of them from today
16072306005_a5d4e9bd5f.jpg

The colors are much brighter today and the pattern is clearer. I can't get pics of the other colonies, one is two shades of bright orange, but the blue of the LEDs just make them look solid orange, the other is a translucent white and grey and I can't get it if focus.

On either side of the yellow clam (jewl box I beleive) are two of the large sea squirts. They are two different kinds. The one on the left side of the photo is column shaped a brighter red/orange with some purple. The one on the right side is a more dull orange, when it is full it's a bit bigger then a large chicken egg
16033631446_97d4a98223.jpg