Collecting Trip March 20-25 Tampa to Florida Keys

internetlost

I'm looking for any assistance from experienced collectors that can help me on my first collecting trip.

I will be in town for Spring Break, so only have a limited availability.

Thanks!

jgking21

You can't take anything from the Key's without a special permit and I highly doubt just anyone can get one. Please do not just take something to take it, I've watched the Key's Reefs get worse and worse over time with too many people visiting!

catran

You have to have a permit anywhere in FL. Jgking21 is right though, permits are limited in the Keys and many Keys are completely off limits. Fines are very high for poachers and locals will not help you. They are very protective of their ocean. I suggest you research this very well. You cannot harvest live rock for sure. You must get in touch with Florida Wildlife Conservation and you may have to cancel your plans after that conversation. Here are some, not all prohibited things:
http://myfwc.com/docs/LicensesPermits/SAL_MarineProhibitedSpeciesPolicy.pdf

dltt

Just curious, but I wonder if you would get in trouble if you seeded some rock and then came back?

catran

They are, this is live collecting. The list says live rock prohibited. They do impose harsh fines for anything over quanities allowed or prohibited collections.

Last edited:

IKERCASILLAS

First of all lke the people told you need to have a permit for Collecting Trip in the Florida.YEs Cartan is right," live rock prohibited".So If you want to go for it heavy plenties are soon coming your way.