Coldwater Reef??

uclacsnerd

Anyone ever see or think of doing a coldwater reef like what we have out in california? I was thinking it would be cool and unique to try a tank with kelp, some indiginous crabs, small kelp bass, catalina gobies, anemonies, etc..?? How cold would you need to keep it? The water around here is 55-60+ degrees..What would minimum size be? Lighting wouldn't need to be too strong (PCs could cut it) since there wouldnt be any "corals." Cost seems to shift from lighting to chilling... long run might be cheaper as there are no bulbs to replace each year... input anyone??

uclacsnerd

cool. how big is it? does he have kelp in it? the long beach aquarium out here has a HUGE tank with black sea bass and giant running from floor to cieling and it is amazing... obviously not thinking something that but you get the idea.

BoomerD

I can see a few things that will make it much more difficult than a regular reef.
First of all, the kelp will require very intense lights, maybe PC's will do it, maybe not...
The colder water, (mid 50's) will cause a lot of condensation on the outside of the tank...You'll have to deal with that. I've seen a couple of cold water trout tanks set-up and that was one of the obstacles they had to deal with too...
Last but not least, is the Dept. of Fish & Game. Many of the species off the California coast are highly regulated and you would have to obtain the appropriate permits for them.

uclacsnerd

i wonder how much light kelp really would require.. remember it thrives in the "murky" waters of california. it attaches itself at pretty respectable depths where not much light penetrates (relative to the coral reefs). i don't know for sure but I'm guessing kelp doesn't need nearly as much light as corals.. thoughts?

condensation is something i didnt' think of. how does one deal with that?

.. ah yes.. DFG is of course an issue.. especially since i would LOVE to have a Garibaldi :)

Reef Geek

Reefus Geekus
A way around the condensation issue might be with an acrylic tank. If you kept the tank in an A/Ced room where it was cool & dry (emphasize dry) the acrylic should provide enough insulation to prevent most condensation.