Cold Water Project...

Surfnut

I'm entertaining the switch from tropical to cold water. At this point I have the 34g Red Sea Pod in mind for this project. Hook up a solid chiller & drop the temp to whatever is needed.

Is there going to be a precipitation problem on the outside of the tank?

How Difficult is it to obtain cold water species for a system such as this?

Are there any smaller cold water octopus species that wouldnt mind the confines of 34g?

Idea is in it's infancy,.. tryin to get a feel for all the pro's & con's...

mps9506

There are a lot of different "cold water" tanks depending on what area you are trying to recreate and have different requirements.
I'm not really familiar with west coast species or their requirements, but I've seen some awesome anemone tanks with west coast species but they require really cold water compared to the "cold water" tanks of eastern US species.

Most of these specimens are gonna be self collected or if you find the right wholesellers you can get your hands on some specimens assuming they aren't protected species.
I don't have much experience with cephlapods so can't comment other than I know they do have pretty specific tank deigns that need to be met.
If you are really interested in keeping something like a bimac octopus or something you probably would do well to check this forum:
TONMO.com: The Octopus News Magazine Online

michael_cb_125

I was going to make an East Coast tank. With only stuff that I collect from the NC coast. I still may, but that idea is on the back burner. Good Luck

Surfnut

I hadnt thought of collecting the specimens myself, tho any excuse to go snorkeling or scuba is a good one. I've a home in Pismo Beach; Location location location. Might have to go & take a look at the local critters.

I was originally thinking strawberry anemones & whatnot. My only concern would be the limited space available in the 34g. I'd go higher in gallonage if feasible. My biggest concern is that with a larger tank comes the need for a much larger & more expensive chiller.

mps9506

TONMO is a cool site.
..I recall somewhere on RS Steve weast spoke about his cold water reeftank

Everything I know about cephlapod husbandry (not much) I've picked up from articles on that site. There are people breeding I think bimac octopus, not sure, but I've seen the captive raised ones one sale.
the main reason I've never looked much into keeping cephlapods is their short lifespan and secure tank requirements.

AFA as cold water anemones and such, again I don't know much about them, I've seen some gorgeous tanks with anemones from the west coast though.
Speaking of Steve Weast's coldwater aquariums:
Oregonreef.com

cracker

Sounds like an interesting project. I look forward to hear what it takes to maintain a "coldwater"tank.

Surfnut

I've owned an octopus once before. No clue as to what species; Had it for roughly 4 months before it decided to tenaciously hold onto a piece of crab shell. This piece of shell got caught inside a piece of rock near as I can tell; He refused to let go. My best guess is he stressed himself to the point of death...<shrug> Water parameters were perfect during this episode.

I thought about converting one of my 120g tanks into this coldwater system to house one of the larger species of octopi. My biggest concern with one of these specimens is their immense strength; You almost need to clamp a heavy piece of Plexi to the top of the enclosure.

Would the Chiller needed to take a 120g to the necessary temps required for a system of this type be cost prohibitive? Could I modify a large floor freezer to accomplish the same task? Using a temperature controlled valve to regulate the flow of water in & out of the freezer unit? The flow chill will be accomplished with simple tubing coiled within the freezer unit to allow adequate chill time for the water running through said tubing.

Just a thought....:drool:

mps9506

Would the Chiller needed to take a 120g to the necessary temps required for a system of this type be cost prohibitive? Could I modify a large floor freezer to accomplish the same task? Using a temperature controlled valve to regulate the flow of water in & out of the freezer unit? The flow chill will be accomplished with simple tubing coiled within the freezer unit to allow adequate chill time for the water running through said tubing.

Just a thought....:drool:

Well first off, what do you want to keep and what kind of tank temperatures do you want to keep?
Second what kind of air temps do you have in the house?

According to Steve Weast's site you want to use thick acrylic for this to prevent the sweating and fog issues. And probably helps thermally insulate the tank as well. If you are going with a 55 degree tank you may want to rethink seriously about using a standard glass aquarium.
As far as cost prohibitive... Well that all depends on who you are asking :)
Also I've seen people do what you are talking about to try and chill reef tanks. If I recall correctly it doesn't work very well. Someone like probuilder or one of our more physics/engineer types would be better at explaining why or how that would work better. Seems like it would work to me :D

cracker

It's been several years ago, I visited TBS in Tampa, They had a live lobster tank in the back. Like you see at a restaurant that holds Maine lobsters. I never considered how it was designed. I would assume one of these tanks had some sort of chiller in it. Taking a look at one of these tanks might offer some insight.

Surfnut

Hm,.. the use of thick Acrylic is gonna make things a bit more interesting. Seeing as the Red Sea unit is glass, I dont know if it will serve the purpose. I guess i could always do a tropical octopus again...

boozeman

I would love to have a dedicated cuttle fish tank...but not happy about the short lifespan either :(

....dont give up on the cold water idea.

Surfnut

The more I think about it the more I think this may be the perfect time to go to a cube tank. Nice thick acrylic/plexi,.. possibly a brick style (euro-style?).

2' x 2' x 2' ... With a proper T5 or LED setup, should look nice. Should be able to rig up a locking acrylic/plexi panel for the top; Four swinging arms, one on each corner, to hold the octopus in. I can have the whole setup made from extra thick panels. Match the top panels thickness to the rest of the tank; For uniformity and insulation.

I guess the biggest decision left at this point is:

Cold Water Octo with a sparse placing of safe corals & a robust cleaning crew able to withstand the octo's eating habits.

Cold Water Cuttlefish Tank,.. Unsure of the life expectancy of these cold water varieties.

Cold water Coral / Fish tank without an apex predator.

On a side note.. I've thought through using the freezer as a chiller for the tank & I think I've come up with a rather easy solution. Keep a large plastic container 60g+ within a large floor freezer. Within this container you will chill water for use in the tank.

My idea is to have a single line in & a single line out. In essence this system could be called a cold water closed loop container system. When the temperature within the tank needs to be brought into check, a temperature controlled valve will activate a powerhead which will transfer water from the tank into the chilled container of tank water located within the freezer. This will in turn cause already chilled water to be pushed from the outlet line located on the bottom of the water tank into the main tank/aquarium. This will ensure the coldest water will be returned to the tank & not the freshly pumped into water.

If the temperature of the home/room in question can be kept steady, then a system timed water transfer (pump activation) set at the proper intervals would keep the tank within it's temperature parameters with ease.. If I'm thinking the physics through properly.

A glaring problem that some may point out is the fact that the water within the container in the freezer will have a tendency to freeze solid. This can actually be kept under control quite easily. Set the thermostat on the freezer to 34 degrees Fahrenheit. Sea water will not freeze at this temperature due to its salinity; Keeping the water in motion helps to maintain this state. Place a small powerhead within the tank to keep a slow steady cyclonic motion to the water & you should be set.

I may mock up something this weekend to test the timed pump intervals vs the temperature controlled pump intervals. Both will work; Timed is just alot cheaper if memory serves. Keeping the inlet & outlet of the system running to the tank screened will be paramount to tank inhabitant safety. Be kinda funny seeing frozen fish/corals etc.. flowing into the tank from the chiller setup. Evil yet Hilarious thought... a brightly colored eel gets intot he chiller setup. I come home after work to find what looks like an Otter-Pop floating in the tank....