Coffee WB-Coolpix

ReefLady

Staff member
Same basic procedure, except I forgot I zoomed out after the Auto White balance shot. Doesn't make a lick of difference once you see the results though.

Auto WB

ReefLady

Staff member
Can I ask a stupid question? :cool:

On the Coolpix, to use the white balance "preset" (as opposed to AWB or one of the other presets), you simply take a picture of something "white" (or grey) which is in the same lighting as your intended pic. I usually either use the SB, or a piece of weighted PVC (in tank).

With this method, I gather you're supposed to take a "pic" (preset) with the coffee filter over the lens?
Do I do that with what the Coolpix indicates as "measure" (measure white balance for preset)? So I'm not really taking a true "picture" with the coffee filter over the lens, I'm just capturing a WB preset?

If I were to put 3 coffee filters over my lens, wouldn't that "black out" any available light?

Sorry if I'm being dense.

:D

ReefLady

Staff member
You've got the right idea, terminology is a little off but yes you're just measuring, not taking a pic. Try it, you'll like it! And yes, I did just hold the filters up against the lens.

T

ReefLady

Staff member
Okay - cool - thanks! (Geez, you're quick!)

I'd try it -- but tank lights are off here. :cool:

reefrunner

Contributing Member
That is unfricking believable.

One request, can you use whatever method you were using prior to the coffe filter to set the WB and then take a pic of the toadstool?

sharks

Contributing Member
Originally posted by Mary
Thanks for asking that RL! I was wondering the same!

Me too :confused:
Now I just need to find out how to measure the WB on the new camera :hammerhea
Thanks again :craig:
S

Mary

Evil Angel
I'm telling ya Sharks! Robz needs to give us class's with a frag goodie bag to take home! :D

reefrunner

Contributing Member
Unless it's completely different than the 995...you should be able to open the menu and one of the first items on there is gonna be your white balance. scroll it down to preset or manual whichever it calls it and take a sample, it's pretty simple.

sharks

Contributing Member
Thanks Kev,
I'm sure it's that simple I just haven't looked :D
Wasn't it you that said this camera is great just out the box?
You were right :)
Now I need to learn the real photography stuff

I like the goodie bag idea :thumber:

reefrunner

Contributing Member
I'm sure it's that simple I just haven't looked

I wasn't trying to be condescending (my post kinda seemed that way after I read it), the camera is intimidating with all the buttons and dials and hold this button while spinning that dial, while standing on your head singing the national anthem of japan just to get the auto timer to work. But once you do the WB, you'll see what I mean.

Michael_Lambert

I tried it

Im not sure if iam doing this right?

i used a coffee filter.. and pointed it at my tank and took the shot.. in my "Manual" setting.. then set it.. and then took the picture..

this is before the filter..

Michael_Lambert

I mean it just seems to make the image brighter? more yellow? now is that becouse its picking up the truer colors of my lights?

as well when i to the color balance.. do i stick the hole camera ( Its small ) into the coffee filter? Or do i just hold it up agaist the glass and shot the it ?

sorry, Anyway of getting more detailed.. simple instructs.. lol

As a possible suggestion ... I've use a small piece of PVC [white] that I temporarily put in my tank to set my white balance on when I do my `manual' or whatever they call it.

IMO, easier to have a larger area to work with that way ...

But awesome suggestions - I'm going to have to try this coffee filter trick. It still blows me away ... thanks!

reefrunner

Contributing Member
OK, here were my results.

Auto WB
awb.jpg

WB sandbed used as the sample
sbwb_002.jpg

1 filter
cfwb1.jpg

3 filters
cfwb3.jpg