Cody Annenome

sKuLLy

I purchased what I believe to be a "Cody" annenomea and 2 clowns which is my first coral for my new system will it be safe for a reef tank? It is white with purple tips and the 2 clowns I purchased with it are hosting with him/her/it? It was an impulse buy and what little research I did after-the-fact leads me to believe this was not a smart buy. PLEASE HELP THE NEW SW FRESHMAN!!:bouncebox

forestal

perhaps you mean Condy? condylactis anemone....any anemone should not be added usually until system is a good 6 months old....requires strong lighting, usually Metal halides, and feeding 2-3 x week of mysis or mashed seafood....
advice...go looking for something you have researched... if you want to buy it...ask the store to hold it for you and go research it and decide if it is for your tank...

it is reef safe, but if your system is new, i would recommend bringing it back so it is ok...the clowns nor the anemone need each other to be happy.

JasonL

Well put Dan. I purchased the Condy and the Maroon as my first additions to my newly set up tank about 1 year ago. I still have the condy to this day, his tentacles reach upwards of 9 inches (see photos), But when I first introduced him to the tank he went thru a bad spell, shedding his tentacles by twisting them off at the base. Go with what Dan said because its really not worth the headache. Regardless of what you do, the Condy and clowns are a great purchase for the freshman, very hardy in my opinion, so good luck.

Cougra

Condy anemones originate in the Atlantic Ocean where there aren't any clownfish species found. It is highly unusual for Condy's to host clownfish. Also because the Condy's are from the atlantic they aren't used to hosting any sort of fish so it's very likely that the condy will eventually try to eat the clownfish and any other animals that get too close to it's tenticals.

Although they are one of the easier anemones to care for, they really do need a mature system, good lighting and good stable water quality. If at all possible, I would also recommend returning it the LFS until your system has a chance to stablize more.

JasonL

Michelle, check out my Photo of the Maroon and the Condy, Ive had them as a pair for over 10 months. I do agree that it is highly unusual but Ive had two Maroons take to the Condy and have had no problems. Maybe its because of the Maroons very well known stubborness

BoomerD

I doubt that she is doubting your word, as many of us have seen it happen, but it IS an unusual pairing.
Skully, the anemone is NOT a coral. Totally different species and family than the corals. The normal recommendation for any anemone is a well matured tank, (usually 1 yr) high flow rates, (30X) and VERY intense lighting. You don't give any system specs, so it's hard to say how it will do, but I'd hazard to guess that your tank is far too new, and probably your lighting may not be up to par for an anemone. Consider returning it to the LFS where you bought it, and wait till your tank (and you ) are ready.

sKuLLy

Everyone thanks for the advise.

My specs are:
tank 125gal w/35 gal refugiumis 2 months old
100lbs live rock
substrate is all live sand
live mud in refugium with calepurea growing
aqualight pro 72" w/3 metal halides, 96watt actinics and 4 blue moons
4 chromis
6 turbos, 6 blue leg hermits, 1 red leg hermit, 5+ small snails, 1 bristle star

All of my water parameters ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are 0 and have been zero for several weeks. Calcium +400 and pH is +8.0.

The condy I have has purple tips is this the same anenomea everyone is talking about? If so, I plan on holding on to this guy to see how he does and if for any reason he shows stress I will return him to the LFS since I have a good releationship with the owner. Condy was very happy this morning with the clowns hosting him:thumbup:

What is the best way to feed him? And should I add any supplements?

BoomerD

Well, I'll retract my lighting comments then, You DO have enough lights for one, but IMO, your tank is still way to new for an anemone. Good luck.

forestal

here is a pic of my condy....
Condy.jpg

and i didnt do much on the reefipedia site for anemones, but a plug for the experts to add their two cents ;)

forestal

feed mysis 1-2x week and under 250w MH...
i actually gave him/her to a good home...had for 2 years, but was in my tank i am making into indopacific biotope, and with rock work change he started moving - not happy, and i didnt want him in my species bta (bubble tip anemone) tank

Witfull

indopacific biotope: flora and fauna that come from the tropical waters of the indochina-pacific rim. condy anemones are a caribbean biotope species.

dragonladylea

I originally thought maybe a Seabae anemone when you mentioned purple tips but then Forestal listed the pic of the Condy. As far as weird pairings go with a Condy - Mine was hosting a Domino Damsel until the Domino got to big for my tank.

jamesgang

I've got a Condy like the one pictured above and put him in my 10g reef that's only been estab. for about 2 months. He's doing well and eats like crazy when I feed him Prime Reef 2-3x week. My question is after he's fed where does the waste go after digestion and will they continue to grow or only reach a certain size and can you over feed it?
I've also read that the condy is not a fish lover like some other anenomies

Last edited:

lcstorc

This one is exactly the first anemone I bought with hopes of it hosting my gold striped maroon. No success with with the hosting and it got to be a giant very quickly. Could be because I don't have enough light. I finally gave up on losing 1/4 of my 125g tank to one animal so I gave it to my daughter's marine biology class who was thrilled.
Glad yours are hosting. That is what I was looking for with no success.
Peace
Lynn