CLT's Red Sea Reefer 350

I figured since I am starting with a nearly new system I would start my thread anew. To give some back story to this I set up a 75 gallon "reef" about 8 months ago. The tank has essentially gone nowhere due to a variety of issues. One thing I learned from that experience is do not buy Deep Blue Professional aquariums and stands.
So I have dedicated myself to rebooting my reef tank and a trip to my LSF and a demo of the Red Sea Reefer system was enough to convince me to buy it. That being said I will list the equipment I will be using for the build and follow that up with a question I have.

Red Sea Reefer 350
75 Lbs Dry Rock from Marco Rocks 55 Lbs base and 20 lbs shelf
Vertex Omega 130 Skimmer
BRS Dual Carbon/GFO Reactor
2 AI Hydra 52's
Ecotech Marine Vortech MP40w
Eheim Jager heater
40 Lbs Carib Sea Oolite Sand
Apex Controller

The question that I have is about the return pump. I was considering a Waveline 6000 but would love suggestions from other owners.

Last edited:

DaveK

The question that I have is about the return pump. I was considering a Waveline 6000 but would love suggestions from other owners.

When you get into the DC controllable pumps, like the Waveline 6000, you will find that many of them are made in China by the same manufacturer. The one major exception are the Royal Exclusive Red Dragon pumps. The downside is that these pumps are extremely expensive.

I don't think you can go too far wrong with any of them. However, you never want to be with out a return pump. Carefully consider replacement parts availability and what you can do for a replacement pump if yours fails.

Last edited:
When you get into the DC controllable pumps, like the Waveline 6000, you will find that many of them are made in China by the same manufacturer. The one major exception are the Royal Exclusive Red Dragon pumps. The downside is that these pumps are extremely expensive.

I don't think you can go too far wrong with any of them. However, you never want to be with out a return pump. Carefully consider replacement parts availability and what you can do for a replacement pump if yours fails.

You bring up an important point though I don't often see where I can buy replacement parts for any of the pumps that I have experience with. Maybe it would make more sense to go with a cheaper pump that isn't dc controllable so if there is an issue I can buy a replacement pump on the fly. I found that I don't particularly like the mag pumps so maybe Sicce.