Clowns

TangMang232

I'm interested in breeding clowns and was wondering what kind I should try. Its not that I'm bored with percula's or anything, there just really common. I was thinking Clarkii's or skunks even. What you guys think.

My setup consists of a 20 gallon long with rock and sand. Tank is 2 weeks into the cycle. Adding a HOB fuge for nutrient control and am using a nova extreme 24 in T-5 HO unit for an anemone for them to host in. This should be enough light for the anemones. I was thinking an RBTA only because when I'm done breeding then ill just add them to my 65 gallon. Think that will work, or is there a different sp. I should try and find.

For the babies (if im successful) will be placed in a 20 long under the breeding tank. For filtration im relying on air filtter to avoid sucking up any babies. I have a very thin layer of LS on the bottom to make if feel a bit more like home and then some rocks for them to hide in. Should i add a nano powerhead with a sponge for added circulation or is it good the way it is.

This is my first attempt and do not expect to be successful right away, but would rather be prepared if it does happen. Adjust my setups anyway you guys see needed and i will make the changes.

Thanks so much

TangMang232

just got done reading woodstocks thread. now book marked, and ill be moving on to triggerjay's in a bit. I have the clownfishs book and read that 3 times over. I'm not starting rotifers yet because I don't even have a pair, and it will take a few months before the pair happen anyways so i have time, but as far as initial setup, hows it looking

lcstorc

Well I have never tried to breed them but I do have a very similar set-up. I have a 20g tank with T5 lights a pair of clarkiis and now 2 RBTA (it split). They have been here for over a year and I haven't seen any breeding behaviour. I have no idea why not and I have never really wanted to raise the babies anyway so I never worried about it. I just like my pair and their nems. Usually the male is in one and the female in the other but they do visit frequently.

GSELLERS

Has been struck by the ban stick
i say a. oscellaris. the babies are the fastest growers out of most. my true percs are sittin at 3 months old and roughly 1/4"+

TangMang232

i guess i should get my feet wet with the easiest to keep pair/babies. Ill continue with the build and start posting some pics, asking more questions and what not.

Thanks for the info, and good post jski711, link is now in my favorites.

Triggerjay

well i know when you are trying to get them to breed you really have to feed them heavily. i don't think i'd be breaking any rules by posting this but if i am please delete this mods. check out this site it has a ton of great info.
MOFIB - Marine Ornamental Fish & Invertebrate Breeders - Marine Fish Breeding / Saltwater Fish Breeding / Marine Invertebrate Breeding

jake

Jake! you beat me to it! That site has all the information you need to know. I love it. Its a great site, and just about the only online community of breeders... but Joyce Wilkersons book is also a must to have on hand. It is called clownfishes...

TangMang232

Jake! you beat me to it! That site has all the information you need to know. I love it. Its a great site, and just about the only online community of breeders... but Joyce Wilkersons book is also a must to have on hand. It is called clownfishes...

yeah got the book a few months ago, and have been brushing up on info. Setup up the system now i gotta get the pair lol

Mattfish

Found this thread and just signed up on MOFIB as well. My wife wants to start breeding either Clowns or Banggai's. Gotta start doing some research.

There seemed to be a reference to a really good book on the subject? Can anyone suggest a good starting/reference book to get us going?

Or tank's doing well, and it's time to start something new, and a way to give back a little too.