Clowns stopped spawning

keithrett

They actually stopped spawning a while ago and I didn't really care until recently now that I have more time. Anyways, my clowns started spawning on November 11, 2009 and continued to do so like clock work until early January when I added more live rock, rearranged the aquascape, upgraded my lights, and added a HOB skimmer with a huge pump. I know a lot of changes, right? Before the changes the tank was sad, little live rock, HOB filters, and a single PC light. Had to upgrade, no question about it. Well its been 6 months now and the clowns haven't resumed spawning. The pair has been together for a little under 3 years now and have been in my 30 gallon tank for about a year. They are the only fish in the tank so no other fish could be harassing them. I have and continue to do weekly 10% water changes. The lights are on a timer so the lighting hours are always constant and I always feed around the same time every night (a mix of mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, and sometimes rods food) The water conditions remain constant and I have had no large swings in my parameters. I introduced a flower pot to the tank in early November last year and the pair immediately began using it as a home. lol They sleep together in the flower pot and hardly every leave each other's side. I'm stumped! Any ideas?

Thanks,
Keith

IMO clowns differ from pair to pair. They need to feel secure and usually they do not like change very much. I have a b/w pair that was showing the usual signs of spawning, and I believe they were about too, but because of a isopod outbreak on my 80g I had to remove them to my 30g and since then they haven't showed any of the spawning behavior again.
Some clowns will adapt to change quite readily, but then again some might not...