Clowns stealing all the seaweed from Tang

75reef

I have two clowns that tear all the seaweed from the clip within a few minutes of putting some in the clip. They don't even eat it all. Then I have big chunks floating around the tank that the tang is left to pick at before they get sucked into the overflow. Anybody have any ideas?

lcstorc

Try using a rubberband and put it around a rock.
The other thing I can think of is to cut it kind of like fringe. Then they would tear off relatively small pieces. This worked great to get my tangs to share.

CATALYST

You could try doing two clips too. My clowns seem like they are habitual. If they eat from the same place all the time put a clip there. Then put another clip on the other side of the tank for the tangs. I don't know if its possible for you but I turn off the pumps with a switch when I feed the tank.

marine281

I always feed my clowns before feeding everyone else, as soon as the lid opens, they are waiting at the surface. I feed them pellets until they stop eating, then its dinner time for the rest.

Makes them a lot less aggressive during feeding :)

jjohnson3

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sounds like it could be a good idea. You should try that. Clownfish are related to damsels so they could be doing this just to make the tang mad. I wouldnt doubt it. What type of tang(s)?

framerguy

Using rubberbands to put the algae on a rock is a more natural way for them to feed anyway and is the method that I use. I actually drilled a hole through the rock with a masonry bit and tied fishing line to it so I can simply pull the rock out instead of having to put my hands in the tank twice a day.

Thats weird my clown eats tetra fin fish flakes from the store he loves them and i feed my sailfin/desjarding sea weed sheets and the clown doesnt even touch them until the sailfin has ate.