Clownfish Pair Help!!

JandR

:fishy: Hey guys, I am hoping you can help me out with this, I have a pair of black clowns that are already showing signs of becoming a mated pair but are about 1 inch the "female" is a little bit bigger. But I have recently come across a breeding pair that are about 2 years and are spawning already. My tank is a 75g reef. Will they be able to coinside together or will i have to find another home for my babies? I don't want them to get beat up or anything if they cant but I have talked to alot of people who have several in a reef tank but they all have only one female. Any suggestions you have would be great, Thanks

Corailline

Hi,

Yes that is just asking for trouble and probably will not end well. A large female will become very aggressive towards any other female clown in the same tank unless it is a huge tank.

I don't know much about the temperament of Black Clowns but my False Percs had a single clown added with them for about two months and I had no problems. I ended up having to rehome the single clown due to her picking on my YT.

BigJay

adding them together at this point could disrupt the already breeding pair. If you added all 4 clowns at nearly the same age before any has changed to a female you would have a chance of success. You could cause some serious conflict with 2 established clowns and then adding a breeding pair with a dominant female. Typically if one of your clowns in your tank has already started changing to female your going to have a dominant showdown. Who will be the more aggressive fish at this point is hard to tell. It's all speculation at this point but not worth the risk. black clowns have a pretty high demand though , so I couldn't imagine you'd have a difficult time finding a home for your current pair. If breeding is your goal your much better off using the proven mated pair.

JandR

Yeah I didnt figure it would work but was just going to see if anyone had any success with this. My breeding pair are gorgeous!! And the mated pair are too, I really hate to give them away cause I think they are awesome but I wanna do whats best, though I am looking in to getting a nano for them do you think if I used the live sand and some live rock and the water from the current tank to fill the nano I could move them over without leaving it to recycle? Have not done that before always started from scratch.

JandR

I would!! They are gorgeous and eatting like pigs!! But I have no idea how to ship fish to be honest lol

JandR

Yeah me too!! When I first got in to saltwater I thought "oh I'll get a clown someday" just thought they were your typical cliche and didnt think they would have such an impact on me! They have great personalities and I am hoping in the near future to be able to invest in getting some Picassos or Snows from Doni! I followed her thread on raising babies and fell in love with her fish they are beautiful!! Well going to divid them in the 75g I have, and try to set up another with water from my water change and let that clear and see how that goes for a while. May run out of room in my house though and have to end up putting them up for sale or finding them homes anyways LOL