Clownfish pair aggressiveness (clarkii)

Mr.Reeefer

Hi reefers,

I have a pair of non mated clarkii clowns, they have been in my tank now for between 2-3months.

I purchased them from my local LFS with the white sabae nems they were hosting at the time. As soon as I placed them in my tank the one that was slightly larger started picking on the smaller one. Both were small when purchased (juveniles)

Since then the slightly larger one is double the other ones size so I am assuming it is a female and the smaller one getting picked on is a male.

the only time the larger one stopped picking on the smaller one was when I had to QT them for ich.

Can anyone shed some light into this as I have read that this is normal in the beginning of mate ship but how long does this go for because she really torments him and I feel sorry for him.

Thanks

Blndbunny

My pair have been having varying amounts of aggression for 6 months now. Both were added to the tank as juveniles, however mine ore occ and are not hosting anything. There was about 6 weeks that was awful, my female really beat the crap out of the male, shredded his poor fins :-( after that they have done much better. Most of the time now she chases him around the tank if he leaves their sleeping area till I feed them, then they are best buds. There are other days, luckily few, that she still just harasses him endlessly. They all seem to have their own timeline. Give them a chance to work it out, but separate them is she starts to hurt him

Mr.Reeefer

Well his fins aren't in the best of shape but aren't too bad to separate them, and it has been like this since I have had them, she chases him around all the time, they don't sleep together, I purchased another nem for him as she doesn't let him into her one, she won't let him in the other one either unless it's lights out and she's snuggled up in her nem.

I have done some reading on clowns and from what I have read its a whole dominant and submissive thing going on....kinda sounds like that 50 shades of grey that my women reads....

Basically she will dominate until he learns to be her submissive biatch!! I was just starting a convo to see other peoples experience....

When will he learn she's the boss or at least let her think she is anyway!!!!