HELP! Clownfish concerns? Video

kelsyleyendecker

I feel like our new clownfish has very weird swimming patterns. I tried looking online but couldn't find more info. He bobs a lot. Can't see it as much in this first video but it started happening a little bit more when I was turning lights off for bed so I got a second video uploading now. Can y'all please look at these vids and tell me if it seems like a normal swim pattern or normal habits?

Don't mind SpongeBob in the background.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

kelsyleyendecker

Ok so that bobbing up and down like a drunk is normal. Got it. Just didn't look like it was doing that in the old tank. He's an only fish but there's a hermit in there too. I don't have an anemone or coral. It's only 10 gal. Should I add anything? The tank has been cycled and I have about 10 lbs of live rock.

kelsyleyendecker

797f7ba4d576706396ff282b102e7815.jpg

kelsyleyendecker

Now that we have a clownfish, my crabs shell looks like it has algae on it. The tank is a bit dirtier than it used to be when it was just the crab. But because my crab is on the aggressive side, I'm not sure if I can add any helpful cleaners. Anyone have advice on this one? I did a 40% water change today and cleaned our the filter and put a new replacement in it. All water levels are fabulous. But I see some fuzz hanging out that wasn't there before and I'm not clear on how to handle that.

TEA

Most all tanks have algae of some sort. Weekly water changes can help keep excess nutrients out of the water which can help keep the algae down somewhat. Your hermit may eat some of it. So might your clown but if you have a steady feeding regimen for the clown then usually they leave it alone. You could try some small Scarlet Red Reef Hermits which do a great job of munching on algae in my tank. But a couple to try and see if the big hermit bothers them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Delareef123

I have a large hermit mixed with my others (not as large as yours) and he does not bother the little ones. He has plenty of food and has no use for their smaller shells. The little ones fight with each other all the time.
Also, you are probably just in the natural tank cycle. If I recall, your tank has been up for about a month, so this could be a natural bloom. The addition of the clown also causes algae to bloom has he is adding waste in the tank. The tank will adjust to this new bio load. Would not be a bad idea to get a small clean up crew (CUC) snails, hermits.

Jeremie

At least your Clownfish is swimming. I have a pair that just lay on their side pushed against the overflow. Been like that for 6 months they never do anything, boring as can be. They don't even go after food just wait till it floats by and then get it. Some times I reach in just to make sure they're still alive. I see eggs every few weeks so I assume they are healthy enough just wish I could get them down in the rocks or something.