CLown thinks Hammer is host

essmaker

PREMIUM
One of my clowns thinks the new Hammer is it's host. Do you think it will hurt the hammer?

He treats it just like an anemone.

sorcerer

Court Computer Wiz
Hey Ess,
Sometimes it can hurt the coral, but many adjust. At work I had two clowns hosting in a torch, at first I thought it was goind to kill the torch because it would rapidly close, after a week it got used to the attention and handled it fine.

At home I have two that are hosted by a large colt, it resisted at first and now it is very happy with the clowns.

One of my friends had a frogspawn that did crap out after too much attention from his maroon clown, but it then moved into a hammer and it adapted fine.
HTH

jks1

this is a good post, i was planning on adding a hammer, torch, or frog for my maroon to host in- keep us informed

fidojoe

Fish Addict
I think its really cool, if you can't keep an anemone, you also have the possibility of the clowns being hosted by corals. Although, its not as fun as watching the clown feed the anemone. Your coral should adjust, and be fine.

Witfull

my maroon uses a green sinularia as a host....then during the day when the devilshand leather opens up he moves back and forth........the main house and beach house,,,lol

Salty75

I have had my greenstar hosting my clowns for about 6 months and it has not shown any ill effects. And it is just so much fun to watch;)
53clowns-med.jpg

Edited for Witfull:turntable

Last edited:

Witfull

just a clarification, the clowns dont host, the anemone/ torch/ GSP/ whatnot are the host....FYI

Salty75

Thank you,One is 2 inches and the other one is about 2 ½ . I have had them for about 8 months; it took them about 2 months to become a mated pair. As soon as that happened the greenstar became their home.

fidojoe

Fish Addict
Thats cool, I've had an ~2" perc in my tank for almost 11 months now, sice my tank finished cycling, I started with two, they were a mated pair, the male was only ~1" (the female was only 1.5" at the time) but the male somehow dissapeared without a trace. I tried another one from Petco, and that was a total flop, my female chased him to death...literally.:rolleyes:

sorcerer

Court Computer Wiz
This pic isn't great, but here are my clowns and the colt that is hosting them. This was about three months ago and the colt is about 25% larger now. The female is he blurry one in the foregrond and daddy is in the colt, where he spends the majority of his time. Its fun to check them out in the morning after the lights have been out all night, the colt looks like it is crushing them...

Attachments

• clowns & colt.jpg
    clowns & colt.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 49

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
My B&W perc thought about the Elegance for a while:D

Attachments

• 7329108_0885-thumb.jpg
    7329108_0885-thumb.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 45

cobraman

My clown snuggles with just about everything in the tank. It was really funny a few weeks back when he decided he was a goby and was sitting on the sand hanging out with the other goby. I couldn't get him to sift the sand though

EdgeKrusher

my clown has taken my overflow box on as it's host. Wierd, but hey, hopefully some day he'll check out my Anthelia coral when it gets bigger, it started as one branch and in the past month it has grown 4 more. :D

EK