Clown Rage -> Zero to Nano in 60 minutes

Bounce

I was on the phone in my home office around 8pm last night where my soon-to-be-dismantled 90 gallon is currently located when I heard a strange noise come from the tank. I looked over to see my female black ocellaris and my Flame Angel in an all-out war right in the middle of the tank. They were rapidly circling each other, the clown (named Shamu by a friend) was biting at the Flame Angel (named Earl by another friend lol) and the Flame had its operculums out trying to stab Shamu. As I jumped from the couch I watched two scales float to the bottom of the tank. The Flame bolted for a crevice in the rock and the clown flew across the tank to attack the Falco Hawkfish! After Falco broke the speed of sound across the tank, Shamu took a chunk out of an Orange-Lined Cardinal's tail and then went after a Pajama Cardinal! This all happened in a few seconds before I could get the canopy open.

Fortunately Shamu wasn't done launching her assault because she attacked the net as soon as it went into the water. Otherwise it would have been really hard to catch her with 100+ lbs of LR in there. I tried to catch the male clown, "Willy" (Shamu and Willy--get it? Black and White like Orcas? :lookaroun ) but he went for the rock as soon as the net went back in. I had to leave Shamu in a bag floating in the tank; with moving tanks around prepping for a 250 gallon install the only other tank I had that I could put them in has a pair of naked ocellaris so obviously that wasn't going to work. I looked at the clock and it was just a few minutes after 8pm so I got in my truck heading for the closest pet store. The first store didn't have any AIO BioCubes... the second only had a 14; I was hoping to find a 29. I figured it would have to do. My receipt says 8:38pm - glad I made it there before they closed at 9.

Exactly one hour later I had set up the new tank with substrate, rock and water from the 90 and had both Shamu and Willy happy as clams in a place where they couldn't hurt anyone. I had tested the water while waiting for the dust to settle and ammonia, nitrite and trate were all zero. I tested again this morning just to make sure. I'm hoping that since EVERYTHING that went into that tank came from the 90 that I'm not going to see any spikes. I had kept the substrate and rock submerged the whole time during transit hoping to avoid any die off (and because it was full of hermits and snails). ...fingers still crossed...

I thought everything was going to turn out alright when I finally went to bed around 6am. This morning (afternoon, really) when I got up I found Earl the Flame Angel dead in the 90. :( :( :( He was a gift from a friend and one of my favorite fish.

I knew the ocellaris were looking to start spawning and have been trying to get their 54 gallon up and running but have run into a few delays with finding a protein skimmer and have been busy with other stages of the remodeling and preparing to cut an eight-foot long hole in the wall to install the 250. The 54 wasn't going to have any other fish in it other than the ocellaris pair and I was hoping to start raising some clowns again when things calmed down. I absolutely love this pair of ocellaris because they're the 'blackest' ones I've seen and years ago could never seem to get a pair to bond.

Anyway... now I'm just babbling.

Here they are in their new 'instant nano'

14gal_emergency_nano.jpg
[/IMG]

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Thanks for sharing. That has always been the thing about clowns, as they get older and closer to spawning, their temperament can change suddenly like someone flipped a switch. So sorry about your loss

lcstorc

Any I thought my female maroon was mean.
Good thing you were able to go out and grab a tank real quick. They would have to hang in a breeder net in my house until I could get something going.

Bounce

Thanks for sharing. That has always been the thing about clowns, as they get older and closer to spawning, their temperament can change suddenly like someone flipped a switch. So sorry about your loss

Thanks. I know what you mean about "flipping a switch." Years ago I had a spawning pair of ephippium and the female would literally jump out of the water at me to attack. Fierce little guys!

Any I thought my female maroon was mean.
Good thing you were able to go out and grab a tank real quick. They would have to hang in a breeder net in my house until I could get something going.

I thought about a net breeder too, but with the way she was attacking the net I didn't think one of those net breeders would have contained her for long. lol