Clown Question

SpitFyre

Hi everyone! First of all, we are SO excited!!! Our Tomato Clown just started playing in our Bubble Tip (we just the BT on Thursday!). Its so fun to watch it!

Okay, so our question is this. We have a 125 gallon tank. We have a Tomato Clown and a nemo-type clown (I always forget their name, sorry). I really love the black clowns, but don't know much about them. Would a black clown go in okay with what we already have? Both our clowns are small. Or would a Saddleback Clown go in okay? We saw the Saddlebacks for the first time today. The man at the LFS said they were very gentle and okay to group together...but I've learned to get a second opinion first.

Bounce

I really don't recommend mixing any of the clownfish species. Even if they're peaceful for a while they can suddenly turn aggressive toward other clowns and any other fish you might have in the tank. My pair of black ocellaris had been in my 90 for several months but just last night the female killed my Flame Angel. I think it's safe to say that "un-paired" clowns can be considered somewhat less aggressive toward other fish, but if you already have two species of clowns in there I really wouldn't advise adding a third. You may end up having to re-home one of the ones you already have if they suddenly decide to start quarreling as they mature. Just my opinion... I can totally understand wanting more clowns though!

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
I have to agree with Bounce. Two species is risky as it is. They can get along great for a while, then one will get territorial and it goes badly. A 125 is too small to mix two species safely, let alone three

StirCrayzy

in general, i have noticed Tomato's are usually more aggressive than other clowns, and i have seen friends Tomato clowns turn on ocellaris 2 different occasions.

Just adding my 2cents.

Joseriv047

I'd like to add a question here about clowns. Is the Black Ocellaris and the regular (white and orange) Ocellaris Clown considered the same species???

Sorry if this is a dumb question...still learning.

SpitFyre

Thank you for all the advice! We won't consider getting any more then.
Just curious though, since the black and the white/orange are the same species, could you pair one orange and one black together?

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
They will change their sex at any point in their life, but, a clown kept alone for any amount of time will always be a female.

In a clown group, there are two adults, one male and one female, and a bunch of juvenile males (yes, though they have no distinguishing characteristics they are considered male). As long as both adults are around, the rest will stay juvenile. They can stay a juvie and not grow for their entire life span (20+ years). That's one of the problems of buying wild caught clowns; you never know how old they are, even the juvies could be ready to keel over from old age.

If you want to pair clowns, get one big, and one very small. More likely to succeed that way

zy112

That is a great point about getting one big and one small.

I also find tomatos to be some of the more aggressive clowns, along with maroon gold stripe IMO