Clown fish in time-out

Spikewire

Hey everyone. About a month and a half ago I added a fire fish to the tank for my daughter. My clown didn't really care for my decision making and proceeded to take it out on the fire fish. :hammerhea I'm lucky to be friends with the owner of a LFS so he offered to board the clown for me. He got a nice new home in a beautiful display tank in the front of the store.

We were hoping that taking him out of my tank for a while would help him to lose his territory. The LFS is moving locations at the end of this month so I'd like to take him back now - but I'm a bit concerned. Has anyone ever tried something like this?

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I have not tried anything like this, but I like the title of the post!

magicmann

The other thing you could try that worked for me is introducing another fish so that the aggression is divided. Nothing certain though

Wretched

How long did you let them acquaint them selves? I had an issue where I had just 1 Clarkii clown for a year. Ended up adding a pair of Percs to the tank... They harassed for two days, then it completely stopped and everything is A ok. They swim right by the clarkii no issues.

Spikewire

They were in the tank for a week and a half before I put the clown in time out. The firefish's tail was pretty much gone.

bmp

Not sure if this will work or not but may be worth a try ...

A few years ago one of my Clarkii clowns died and I decided to replace it. The one that was left in the tank was not happy. It attacked the new one non stop and I had to rescue it.
I read a few posts on here and other websites which suggested putting a mirror at the end of my tank to make the clown think there were more clowns and hopefully distract him / her.
I ended up putting a mirror at either end of the tank (on the outside) and left them there for a few days. It seemed to do the trick. He attacked his reflection for a few days but didnt bother the new clown. That was about 4 years ago and both clowns now live happily together.

It is worth a try.

Thanks

BMP

I never seen clownfish take aggression to anything else but there own, there are pretty finiky fish. I had a problem with two bonded pair that I purchased from Live Aquaria. They faught from day 1. I put the aggressor in a breeder nets for 3 weeks, once released faught again. Live Aquaria refunded me my money and I donated both to my LFS.

Also, a friend of mine who purchases from a wholesaler has had 4 failed attempts in trying to find a mate for a 4" Maroon Clownfish, killing each of the first four, finally accepting of the fifth attempt.

I find clownfish to very agressive at time.

Spikewire

Well I went and picked up the clown last night hoping his little vacation had done some good. I bought a large mirror to try that as well. It seemed to be ok for a bit as the clown was distracted by the mirror.

Then the tank turned into Battledome.

The Royal attacked the clown. I never knew they had so many teeth and could open their mouth that wide.

The clown boogied and then found the firefish and wrasse he had been so fond of torturing. Might as well have been playing Ride of the Valkyries as a soundtrack. I had to catch the clown again and put him in his plastic in tank prison cell. Things settled down after that.

So now I have to find a home for the clown. Normally I'd bring him back to my friend's lfs but they are moving the entire shop this weekend. I'm hoping he has a stable tank at the new shop but we'll see.

I've had such a nice peaceful tank for so long. Now it's Fish Armageddon! :)

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
It's not funny, but the way you present it makes me laugh!:laughroll

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
UUGHH! Sorry about all the trouble you are dealing with, YIKES! Seems it's always SOMETHING. My last added fish was a Royal Gramma & he loves hanging out with my pair of clowns & they all hate the Dwarf Cherub Angel. They just chase him away. Now the angel has turned into an acan nipping DEVIL....he may have to be re-homed.
Yep, it's always SOMETHING! :yup: