Clown fish in anemones

Nemo

whats the best anemone for clown fish? is there just one they take to or are there many and how easy is it???

LuckyInk

Reef Painter
I have found that clowns (for the most part) take to any anemone and even some LPS corals such as Colts or Leathers and even zoos or mushrooms.
I would definetly discourage bringing a delicate animal into a reef tank unless it is well established tank and well protected (i.e. no chance of the anemone getting stuck in overflows or powerheads).

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
https://www.aquacon.com/clownfishanenomecompatibility.html

False Percula Clown -
  • Amphiprion ocellaris
    Carpet anemone
    Ritteri (Maroon) anemone
    Saddle anemone
    Bubble anemone

Percula Clown - Amphiprion percula
  • Carpet anemone
    Ritteri (Maroon) anemone
    Saddle anemone
    Bubble anemone

"Sebae" Clown - Amphiprion clarkii
  • Sebae anemone
    Long Tentacle anemone
    Ritteri (Maroon) anemone
    Carpet anemone
    Saddle anemone
    Bubble anemone

Tomato Clown - Amphiprion frenatus
  • Bubble anemone
    Long Tentacle anemone
    Sebae anemone

Maroon Clown - Premnas biaculatus
  • Ritteri (Maroon) anemone
    Bubble anemone
    Long Tentacle anemone

Pink Skunk Clown - Amphiprion perideraion
  • Long Tentacle anemone
    Sebae anemone
    Ritteri (Maroon) anemone
    Carpet anemone
    Saddle anemone
    Bubble anemone

Bubble anemone = Entacmaea quadricolor
Long tentacle anemone = Macrodactyla doreensis
Sebae anemone = Heteractis malu
Ritteri (Maroon) anemone = Heteractis magnifica
Carpet anemone = Stichodactyla gigantea
Saddle anemone = Stichodactyla haddoni

Warnberg

Most wild caught clowns will adapt to anemones much faster than tank raised ones.... JME I have also observed that all clowns will take to just about any host as long as they find it suitable....

Cougra

Warnberg said:
Most wild caught clowns will adapt to anemones much faster than tank raised ones.... JME I have also observed that all clowns will take to just about any host as long as they find it suitable....
Unfortunately some of the hosts that clownfish can take too don't like having fish brushing against them all the time and some anemones have been known to eat the clown that's trying to find a iome. Condy's come to mind here. Any anemone that comes from the Atlantic ocean will not host a clownfish no matter how hard the clownfish tries.

Clownfish don't need to have any animal host them. They can live a full and healthy life without something hosting them. Before you get any type of anemone, make sure that you have the system they require as they are very difficult animals to keep healthy long term.

Also the list that Woodstock posted is very similar to the listing from Joyce Wilkersons "Clownfish" book which is reputed to be one of the best resources for information on clownfishes. I know that I really enjoyed reading the book and learned a lot from it.

coraldynamics

RS Sponsor
I agree with LuckyInk and Cougra, don't take an anemone home until you fully research it's specific needs. Tank stability is #1 Most tanks under 6 months old are no where near stable enough. I recommend nothing under a year for even the easiest of anemone.

Also agree, in captivity clowns do not need an anemone.

Hope this helps

corvettephreek

my clownfish wouldnt host to my anemone until iut had gained pigment, and it could feed on its own. took me about 4 months or so....

good luck!!!

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Nemo said:
whats the best anemone for clown fish? is there just one they take to or are there many and how easy is it???

I think the question would be which Clownfish would take easier to the host anemones and the answer would be the Clarkii, it's not picky at all and will easily take to all Pacific hosting Anemones.

Any anemone that comes from the Atlantic ocean will not host a clownfish no matter how hard the clownfish tries.

Michelle at my LFS they had a Premnas biaculatus which was hosted by an Atlantic Anemone for several years don't remember exactly but I believe it was a Condy.

LuckyInk

Reef Painter
cheeks69 said:
I think the question would be which Clownfish would take easier to the host anemones and the answer would be the Clarkii, it's not picky at all and will easily take to all Pacific hosting Anemones.

That's good to know. I like Clarkii, second only to Pink Skunk Clowns.
Thanks Robert!

Yarr

Clowns in captivity don't actually need an anenome and live very happy healty lives without them. So dont feel as thought u need to get one just to accomodate a clwonfish. That being said though they do look uber cool when they duck in and out of one. and very cute when they curl up in there to sleep :)