clown and anemones

johnmiami

Are there particular clowns that will host particular nems? I had a tomato clown and he/she really took to the nem that I had. It became to aggressive with my other fish and I had to remove it. I got a little percula that is small and cute but has shown no interest at all for the nem that I have.

Snelly40

yes, many clowns have favorites that the like ot host in. Some are more particular than others.
My maroon never went near my carpet anemone when it was the only one in the tank but as soon as i put in a BTA he was in it while it was still in my hand as i was trying to place it...
here is a basic chart of compatability, but take this with a grain of salt , for instance the last anemone on the list is a rock anemone and my maroon was perfectly happy hosting in my rock anemone for a while!!!!

Anemone Compatible Clownfish Species
Bubble Tip Anemone (Rose Anemone)
Entacmaea quadricolor Amphiprion akindynos - Barrier Reef Clownfish
A. clarkii - Clark's Clownfish
A. frenatus - Tomato Clownfish
A. melanopus - Red and Black Clownfish
A. ocellaris - Ocellaris Clownfish
Premnas Biaculeatus - Maroon Clownfish

Long Tentacle (Corkscrew) Anemone
Macrodactyla doreensis A. clarkii - Clark's Clownfish
A. perideraion - Pink Skunk Clownfish
A. polymnus - Saddleback Clownfish
Premnas Biaculeatus - Maroon Clownfish

Pizza or Carpet Anemone
Cryptodendrum adhaesivum A. clarkii - Clark's Clownfish
A. frenatus - Tomato Clownfish
Premnas biaculeatus - Maroon Clownfish

Sebae Anemone
Heteractis malu A. clarkii - Clark's Clownfish
Premnas biaculeatus - Maroon Clownfish

Magnificent Anemone (Ritteri Sea Anemone)
Heteractis magnifica A. akallapisos - Skunk Clownfish
A. percula - Percula Clownfish

Leathery Sea Anemone
Heteractis crispa A. chrysopterus - Orange Fin Clownfish
A. polymnus - Saddleback Clownfish

Giant Carpet Anemone
Stichodactyla gigantea A. clarkii - Clark's Clownfish

Saddle Carpet Anemone (Haddon's Sea Anemone)
Stichodactyla haddoni A. chrysopterus - Orange Fin Clownfish

Condy Anemone
Condylactis gigantea No reported relationship with clownfishes

Haitian Reef Anemone
Condylactis spp. No reported relationship with clownfishes

Tube Anemone
Ceranthus membranaceus No reported relationship with clownfishes

Rock Anemone
Epicystis crucifer No reported relationship with clownfishes

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Are there particular clowns that will host particular nems?

Yes, in fact only the Clarkii will accept all the Hosting Anemones. Are you sure you have a Percula or a False Perc aka Ocellaris ? The Ocellaris is the pickiest of the Clownfish when it comes to hosts they usually only accept the H. magnifica or S. gigantea or S. mertensii

johnmiami

Based on the colorations I do have the little False Nemo :). Thank you both for all the information on who goes where. Now since of have the False Nemo can I have another type of clown that will go to my Sebae without a problem other than the tomato that I had?

lcstorc

Mixing clowns can be a real challenge. They are very territorial. Take extra care to be sure you don't have 2 females regardless of type. Two females will fight big time. Females are the larger clowns. All clowns start as males and the strongest/most dominant becomes female so if you get them young and small they will not have changed yet.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
The False Perc in time could accept the Sebae, mine took about 4 months. What size tank do you have ? I would never recommend mixing clownfish unless you have a large tank.

johnmiami

I have a 90 gal. And I realized yesterday that my anemone is a florida condy, not the sebae they called it at the store. I'm finding I need to do more and more research on my own to educate myself than relay on the store. They are costing me money....I did enjoy watching the tomato in the anemone. Now I seem to have a mismatch and either need to find another clown, not too aggressive that will go to the condy and/or buy another anemone for my false perc and attempt to keep two clowns. The perc is very small.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Now I seem to have a mismatch and either need to find another clown, not too aggressive that will go to the condy and/or buy another anemone for my false perc and attempt to keep two clowns. The perc is very small.

Although there are cases of Clownfish accepting Condys as a host this is very RARE. The Condy is an Atlantic sp. not from the Pacific and isn't a natural host for any of the Clownfish. I also wouldn't recommend mixing Clowns in a 90 gal tank.

chriswho

I have an oscellaris hosting in a green BTA. It took him a week or so to get used to the idea, but he finally came around. It may take them a while to host depending on whether or not they were bred in captivity. Many clowns bred in captivity have never seen an anemone. Another thread somewhere on this site suggest hanging a picture of a clown being hosted by an anemone on the tank to encourage/speed up the process. Some people claim that this worked for them. Best of luck to you.