cloudy water

Raheem

My water is super cloudy ever since I added a Goby to the tank. Will this eventually clear up or does having this type of fish in the tank make it impossible to maintain clear water? This pics may not show exactly what I see. However I am unable to see the back of my tank now due to the cloudiness.

Attachments

• F1.jpg
    F1.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 5
  • F2.jpg
    F2.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 5

Raheem

So this morning I woke up to a crystal clear tank; not sure why or how. But when my lights transitioned to daytime lights (stock bio cube lights) the cloudiness came back. I thought it was the golby, but now I think its the lights. Thoughts?

DaveK

The first question is how long have you had the tank set up?

Cloudy water can come from several things. The most likely ones are -
Fine particulate matter in the substrata. This is very common with new systems.
An algae, diatom or bacteria bloom. Another common problem with new systems.
Something big has died in the tank. Check for any missing fish, dead corals and so on.

Except for something being dead, most of these problems will go away on their own if just left alone. In looking at your tank pictures your problems don't look too bad.

Usually a good skimmer and filtration will help to solve cloudy water issues. Make sure they are dialed in correctly.

It's possible your goby is disturbing the sandbed. Some species really like to dig, but this is not necessarily a bad thing, as it helps keep the sandbed clean.

If you have a chronic problem with algae or bacteria blooms a UV unit can help, but don't be in any rush go out and get one. They are expensive and of limited value beyone this. Only go this way if your have no other choice.

Lighting by itself is unlikely to cause an issue, but can cause algae or diatom blooms. You can try cutting it back.

The bottom line, as long as the fish and corals are ok, leave things along for a few weeks and see if they improve.

Raheem

The first question is how long have you had the tank set up?

Cloudy water can come from several things. The most likely ones are -
Fine particulate matter in the substrata. This is very common with new systems.
An algae, diatom or bacteria bloom. Another common problem with new systems.
Something big has died in the tank. Check for any missing fish, dead corals and so on.

Except for something being dead, most of these problems will go away on their own if just left alone. In looking at your tank pictures your problems don't look too bad.

Usually a good skimmer and filtration will help to solve cloudy water issues. Make sure they are dialed in correctly.

It's possible your goby is disturbing the sandbed. Some species really like to dig, but this is not necessarily a bad thing, as it helps keep the sandbed clean.

If you have a chronic problem with algae or bacteria blooms a UV unit can help, but don't be in any rush go out and get one. They are expensive and of limited value beyone this. Only go this way if your have no other choice.

Lighting by itself is unlikely to cause an issue, but can cause algae or diatom blooms. You can try cutting it back.

The bottom line, as long as the fish and corals are ok, leave things along for a few weeks and see if they improve.
Tank has been set up for two months now

Raheem

So my tank has been generating a significant amount of brown film all over the rocks since I added the upgrades tank lights from the stock BioCube lights to Steve’s LED, operating at just 30% (lights were added just this week) also my water temperature is at 79-80, usually at 74-76... should I be concerned? How do I go about lowering the temperature? My thermometer is set and I know temps will decrease at night when the lights go off.

Attachments

• DDE324F9-79D4-43BA-B37D-B22450EDD832.jpeg
    DDE324F9-79D4-43BA-B37D-B22450EDD832.jpeg
    101.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 052BB045-6824-471E-AEE2-F94707801F86.jpeg
    052BB045-6824-471E-AEE2-F94707801F86.jpeg
    99.7 KB · Views: 3

DaveK

Your tank is still very new. The brown film your seeing is most likely a diatom bloom. It will usually pass in a few weeks. This is fairly normal. I usually keep my tank about 78, so I don't see a temp of 79-80 to be a problem.

Alf

also my water temperature is at 79-80
These temps are not an issue, but if your going down to 74 at night and up to 80 during the day that's a big swing IMO, and could be a problem. Set the heater to steady you out at night where you don't dip so much and keep a more constant temp. Temp swings can be harmful to fish and coral. hth