Closed Loop Pump & Super Squirt Question

Nucem

Currently I have a Squence Reeflo Snapper 2500GPH ext pump. It has a 2" intake and a 1 1/2" ouput. I have an Ocean Motions Super Squirt for the closed loop I want to set in my 100g flat back hex tank. Here's my questions. With only having a ball valve between the above mentioned pump and some sort of reducer for the SS 1" input cause any problems to the pump or maybe the Super Squirt? Cavitation, higher heat etc..

When I asked the SS manufacturer they mentioned needing a bypass. Splitting the pump output into 1 1" line to SS and another 1" line to somewhere(another output in back of tank?) Looking for any advice or info I can get.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Nucem.http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/jan2003/featurejp.htm
Advanced Aquarist Feature Article try this I have a migrane now lol. Ok in reality you cannot compress water so restricting out flow really equals head, some extra elec use = more heat. I think you can do it as is but really your overpumped. Splitting the outflow could prove usefull for other equipment use ie skimmer, carbon and roafos etc. PS make sure your joins are really good cause your packing some serious pressure in there

mps9506

Are you getting the squirt or the supersquirt? The squirt would need a bypass because it is only designed to handle 1000gph. The supersquirt would be fine to handle the flow. Just reduce the pipe from 1.5" to 1" before the SS with a reducer.
You won't really run into problems with that setup, however keep in mind that the Sequence Snapper is a high flo low head type pump. The extra pressure from the reduction plus whatever other plumbing on there is going to add quite a bit of head. You are probably cutting that flow in half once you add in the height it will be pumping.

Nucem

I have the Super Squirt model. If what you say is true, seems like I would be wasting what the pump can do. Any suggestions on what pump and GPH?
Right now I plan to start with softies but I want to keep SPS down the road I hope.

mps9506

I don't think it is a waste at all, regardless of what pump you use, you will have head loss. If you want more flow you can choose apump with higher head on it, but I would think that pump should be sufficient.

for a closed loop there is no head on friction loss. Put a Y befor the SS. add the 1" reducer and go into the SS the other add a ball valve run into the tank. I ran mine to the bottom to help keep stuff from settling there. Using a Dart pump