Cleaning out a sump

essmaker

PREMIUM
There was a discussion the other day regarding cleaning out sumps. For the life of me I can't find the thread, call me stupid (as several people around the world call me stupid).

I am curious what pump was recommended for the use of sucking out the crud from the sump.

Any one know the thread?

Thanks

essmaker

PREMIUM
Thanks jimeluiz!

I think I am going to go the route of using a water pump with an attached hose to suck out all the bottm crud. This way I don't harm any of the sponge and other sump inhabitants.

I just need to find a low gph pump to use.

BoomerD

Why not use a Python? Sucks all the water & gunk into the sink drain. No messy buckets to dump or spill/splash along the way? I've used mine for about 15 years.

Dennis7

Yes the Pyton hooks up to the faucet.
I use a Magnum 350 like a vac, I just happen to have it and use it. I wouldn't go out and buy it for that purpose though. I have seen many different ideas. One is to hook a hose in a powerhead and a nylon sock on the other to clean the sump. The nylon should be fine enough to catch most of the dirt.

wooddood

the wood dude
if you have a cannister filter i would use that.that way you dont have to add any water,if not i would use a phython and do a water change at the same time.

BoomerD

I've always figured that if you're gonna clean the sump, it'd be a good time for a water change anyway. You're gonna have to do one sooner or later, why not combine both chores & get it over with?:D

essmaker

PREMIUM
I planned on doing the water change at the same time, the question was what were others using to clean out the sump.

Were people using a pump with a hose attached to suck the stuff up, or did someone have a better idea?

sorcerer

Court Computer Wiz
I've done it two ways, early on when I setup the tank I had a lot of sediment and crap from sand settling out, I used a small wet dry vac and complete cleaned it out and did the water change. Since then I've done it with a minijet 400 when I do the water change. I usually shutdown my return pump, stir whatever may have settled in the sump, and pump it out.