cleaning filters, uv's and wave makers

zack879

How often do you guys scrub these things down? My filter and wave maker have some pretty nasty red sludge stuff on there. I'm gunna do a water change tomorrow and i was thinking of pullin that stuf out and hosing it w/ hot water.

clean the filter as per instructions. I would imagine that you should only be cleaning some of the sponges/media at any given time and not all of them at once.

use the water that comes out of the tank for the cleaning of filter and pumps. Failing that, use RO water and not tap water.

zack879

ok, yeah so in my filter all i have is the Pura complete bag, so i think that's good probably doesn't need replacing for awhile, but in reality isn't my live rock doing the filtration? i shouldn't even need a hob filter right?

catran

All of these answers are relative to many thing, like,
How heavy your bio load is.
How often and how much are your water changes?
How much live rock you have.
Are you sure you RO waters TDS is 0?
IMO, how long your light cycle is

My stuff gets so dirty in my 28g that I scrub the skimmer and media basket 1x a month. I replace my chemi pure elite every 3 months even though it's supposed to last up to 6 months. I would see what they say and replace it no later than 3/4 of the instructed time.
I would always use carbon or chemi pure elite because there are so many issues that can dirty your water that it's impossible to know unless you test constantly.
Take it from me, I've had mini crashes because I thought I could do without...
It seems like the minute you get confident that everything is going really well, poof, something happens!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk