Cleaning detritus in established tanks

drbark

Just wanted some ideas on what you guys have tried to clean up some of your detritus in hard to get areas of your established tanks. Don't know about spraying the hard to reach areas with a strong current of water. Would this have a negative affect on the tank inhabitants? Is it dangerous to kick things up?

Appreciated the wisdom of others

Al

David Shaw

I use a Turkey baster to blast off rocks, also have a good CUC and i also syphon the substrate and rear chambers. Have done from day one of setting up the tank.

drbark

So it's ok to blast that detritus into the tank? I will use filter socks to capture as much as possible. I assume since there is a lot of stuff lurking on the back part of the tank that I should do it little by little?

Al

burning2nd

tunzes fit so nice in your hand. :) and i always liked snowglobes

but it does look like a snow storm..

drbark

Thank you for your responses. I appreciate the knowledge of more experienced aquarists.

Have a nice Christmas

Al

adding powerheads to increase the waterflow helps, a good clean up crew helps, and when i do a water change i stir it up with the siphon and try to siphon it out, it doesnt botherthe inhabitants for more han an hr or two, and im sure some of the corals/fish/cuc enjoy eating the stuff