clean up crew?

Rakahrd

I read in a post that blue leg crabs will kill my snails. I just ordered a CUC package that has 25 blueleg crabs and 5 mexican red legs in it will they really kill my snails ? it has 1 letuce nudubranch , 39 cerius snails 5 florida ceriths ,10 nassarius snails, 2 emerald crabs and a few other snails turbos I believe .I would hate to loose them all

DaveK

There are a lot of hermit crab species. I don't think you'll have a problem with the small blue leg hermits typically sold. However, most crabs will feed on anything they can catch. It's just that most snails are too large for the small blue legs to easily get.

cracker

Blue leg hermits are the only crabs I trust. Always been good neighbors in my tank. Can't say that for other types

Choff

Bottom line you need to replenish your cuc every 3 to 5 months. You are going to lose snails for a variety of reasons and some of the reasons are going to be your crabs eating them. They aren't going to decimate your snail pop overnight, but as Dave pointed out they are opportunistic and will eat whatever they can get their claws on.