Clean up crew options w/Smasher.

Squatch XXL

I am looking for any suggestions for CUC. My current peacock kills EVERY small hermit crab, and most of the snails. I am changing 20% total water per week over 2x 10% changes, and it works great. I have the largest turbo snail I have ever seen, and so far it has not been harassed. I have a good idea that it may be a dinner some time in the future.

What other creative CUC options exist? Any luck with urchins or star fish, or is it hit or miss?

Squatch XXL

I have introduced an additional pair of turbo snails to help out the survivor.

I have the largest turbo snail I have ever seen

They are no where near as large, and I may dare claim half of the size....they seem to be more interested in cleaning the viewing side of the tank, whereas "Ol-Tubby" seems to stay in the background.

More on this as it develops/smashed to bits and eaten.

Squatch XXL

Ill get some photographs.

My 2 largest are still doing well. The largest was harassed a bit the other day while I worked as reported by the Better Half. However, the Mantis (Named "Kitty Cat" by her also) was not very interactive yesterday. The smallest turbo was missing, and confirmed dead today. She is using its shell as part of her burrow.

I may start disturbing her burrow to keep her attentive. She has too much time to calculate killing. She needs to spend more time working.

Squatch XXL

Check out my chronicle.

This was her less than 2 hours into the tank. Killed and ate most of the small CUC.. Since introduction she has molted, and took a 9 day break.

This is her as of today.

She is just over 4 inches from eye-ball'n.

Last edited:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
pretty !
image.jpg

Oxylebius

CuC is disposable, part of the feeding cost....
Just saying.

Absolutely agree.

I'd replenish the cuc on a regular basis, and allow her to do her natural instinct.

I have my turtle tank set up in a similar manner. Guppies for the turtle to eat whenever she wants. And they reproduce year round. The natural cycle works.

Only difference with yours is that not reproducing of snails will happen, instead you will need to replenish on a regular basis.

Squatch XXL

15 sacrificial hermits were applied to the situation over the weekend. Id wager 4-5 of them are now substrate decorations.

*Edit*

I have 2 turbo snails. IF one of them disappears, I know its time for more mini-hermits....and another turbo. 2 seems to be the lucky number for keeping the tank clean. I am really impressed.

Last edited: