Clarkii Problem help!

AHRPR

My female clarkii is being super aggressive towards my male .. like crushing him into the side of the glass and keeping him contained into one corner of my tank.

Its a 10g FOWLR and some inverts and an anenome (yeah kinda cluttered)

Warnberg

Have they ever mated? She may actaully be either a) initiating courtship or b) rejecting him

Good luck

AHRPR

Warnberg said:
Have they ever mated? She may actaully be either a) initiating courtship or b) rejecting him

Good luck

Well her belly seems to be growing quitew large towards the front. And Beating him up is a way of showing courtship? SHE chases HIM around the tank.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
How long has the male and the female been in the tank ? Is the size difference considerable or are they about the same size ?

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I have never had clarki's but my ocellaris pair have been inseperable for years. They do every thing together. Is it possible you have 2 females? My female is 3 x the size of the male. How long have you had them?

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
wooddood said:
clowns will change sex :turntable

true.... first they are neither sex, then they turn male, and finally, the largest/oldest will turn into a female. That is why you always want to buy the second clown as small as possible.... the females are MEAN :)

Warnberg

This is true they will change sex... however once they are female they will never go backwards... in other words, when they are young they are sexless, then the next step is male, then the last step is female, in that order but never the other direction. This is all determined by domiance, most dominate will be female, next dominate male, and if there is more in the tank, the rest will remain sexless until someone in the pecking order dies or is removed.

JMO