ClamsDirect's checkout system s*cks!

Barry - Here's a thought.

Can the shopping cart/ordering system be made so that I can `lump' multiple orders within a 24 hour period [let's say].

I'm thinking like this ... keep current stock/sale method. It does work, is fair IMO. But ... allow people to place and group multiple orders within a time period. That way it works like this:

I receive email about new clams.
I go to www.clamsdirect.com, see my dream teardrop maxima.
I place in my cart, proceed to checkout seconds later.

Then, I go back and make a new order ... as I'm paying shipping on one clam, might as well have a couple other more `normal' clams on the order as your prices and livestock blow what is locally available here.

As it stands, I hesitate from my dream clam, as it gets expensive to ship single clams ... and by the time I browse for other clams the new cherry clam I want so bad is gone.

Does this make sense? Can this work?

Would get tricky figuring out shipping charges, making sure things are tied together [then again, maybe allow orders to be `tied together' or grouped if the second order contains the first order # or something like that?

It's fine if I'm responsible [even have to call] to group orders ... but I hate having to ship a single clam when I see my dream clam - and having tried before, I browse to fill out an order far to slow to get anything new and hot.

--
I also have a few friends/locals who order from CD fairly regularly. It is too bad that they can't call and ask if I want anything ... but by the time we converse, I decide ... it's an hour later and their clam is sold.

But I'd certainly `go in' on more orders even if I had 2-3 hours to add on to an order. I'll jump thru hoops to get it to work right, no problemo. But would be nice to have some sort of possibility here ... and it's a different solution for keeping your great shopping cart and stocking method ... but would get me buying more of your clams :D

Sounds pretty win-win situation to me.

addict

middleton mark:

:thumber:

I think that would work awesome! It addresses the complaint that I had... mainly that if you take the time to add more than 1 clam to your order you're at a distinct disadvantage to those that just see one clam, grab it, and check out...

I truly understand the supply/demand issue (I'm an economics major ;) ), and I'm not really complaining that I always miss out on the good clams... it's just that I could have easily gotten the 'good' clam, but was 'robbed' of it because I chose to purchase more clams than just that good clam... it's kinda like being penalized because you want to spend more money... :smirk:

Also, sorry to give ya a sleepless night there Barry... ;)
The explanation you posted is a good one, and I truly understand that you want everything to be fair and equitable.
Thanks again.

David

Barry N.

Sponsor
middletonmark,

Here is something that some have done in the past. Scanned the selection and found their dream clam like you discribed and checked out without the shipping container then went back and spent sometime looking for other clams that they may be interested in, selecting maybe a few more and then again check out with the shipping container that will support both orders.
Suggest that they drop us a email and let us know that they have added to order# as we look at the orders and really not so much the name until we ship. One day I was preparing shipments and noticed that I had already packed some clams for that same person just minutes ago. Had to open up container and re-pack into a larger container and re-calulate the cost. :(

We do except phone orders but we have to go into the shopping cart software to pull your clams out of stock and that does take sometime, not as easy as click and pick like you can. When I am pulling your clams out of inventory, I could also be pulling someone clams that they also have in the cart :( or they could be checking out while I am doing this and then you loss. :( Faster to do it yourself.

Group orders. Yes we do quit a few. The best way to do this, is to have your group together and order all at once and then make a list of whom get what and we will mark all bags with the number of the clam so you can ID it for that person when it arrives. It is best that one person pay for the order and then collect from each person. Say if shipping is 40.00 and the container is 12.00, a total of $52.00 and there were 8 clams in the order. That would be $6.50 per clam. You order 3, your share of the cost of shipping and container is $19.50 and your friend orders 5, then his cost would be $32.50 or you could just divide it between you both equal, that's between you and him :)

Getting back to the software. If you were ordering a yellow tang from XYZ company and they had 50 in stock then this would not be a problem at all but then again they have one rare fish, then you would have the same problem as with our store. No way around it. :( We urge you to visit some other online vendors shopping cart and you will see what we are trying to convey. I went to one store today online that had clams for sale and I could select as many as I wanted but they only have one. Not sure how the store would handle that when 4 people bought the same clam :(

SORRY for the long thread but we want to try to clear this up the best we can.

Regards,

Last edited:

addict

I'll also add my thanks to Barry... he made sure that I came away happy this time around.
I've always highly recommended clamsdirect, not only for their selection, but because Barry is in a class by himself.
Thanks Barry. :)

Barry N.

Sponsor
David,

We were glad that we were able to help you with this issue and know that you will be happy with your new additions. :)

Regards,