clams under t5's

electraglide999

Been thinking about going all out t5's. But I have a clam.. Rumor says stay with MH's, but has anyone been successful with keeping clams under t5's long term??

Sapphire

what would you consider long term? I've had mine well over 18/20 months and they have grown quite a bit:

As you can tell by the terrible algae these went in pretty early (too early I know now)
firstpictures002.jpg

to:
DSC02585.jpg

DSC02584.jpg

proenca

Although to be honest I dont have a T5 setup and previously had 150 and 250 MH setups, I do now have a very different one with T5 ( well, being setup ) .

As long parameters are stable and depending on the T5 setup ( 1 x 39 w aint gonna cut it, no matter how you put it ) , but if its a good setup with plently of light, shouldnt be a problem - but then again, I dont have proof for those - people with bit more experience on that, like Emma , on keeping them on long term under T5 can give you a better look on that.

I do believe that the problem of keeping SPS/Clams under T5 isnt due to the lack of light but to the poor light penetration of T5 light.

Wheras a MH is more like a "beam" and more concentrated, therefore more suitable to deeper tanks, T5 is more diffuse : a lower light concentration are found in the bottom of a high tank ( MH vs T5 )

So if you plans include a good T5 setup, clams can be kept. In doubt, keep the clams in the middle & top tier of the tank.

Hope it helps

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
As mentioned above YES it can be done but you have to really pay attention to the "Details". Tank depth, clam placement and type/quality of the T5 unit are all key factors. You'll want as many T5 as you can cram on the tank (with-in reason of course), you'll want true Individual Reflectors for EACH bulb, and you'll want a high quality fixture so you're getting the most out of your bulbs.

Yes it can be done... yes it's done more and more each day but you do need to be specific about how you do it.

KUDOS to you for asking before hand :)

proenca

KUDOS to you for asking before hand :)

:dance:

Big Al is making a nice point here : its nice for people to ask BEFORE they buy and make the necessary arrangements , rather than buying , then investigating, then making adjustments and then simphoning out the dead animal...

Sapphire

I do agree with proenca and Al about asking before trying things!

Al is right and I should probably have been more detailed in my post about how my clams are placed. they are in upper part of the tank and I try not have anything obstructing the light above them I wouldn't put them on the substrate as I don't think that would be enough light for them. I also attempt to replace my tubes every 6 months etc.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Emma is a classic example of how the attention to detail can make it possible. She's gone out of her way to make it possible and her tank is a shining example of it CAN BE DONE!

One key thing to remember is that water clarity plays a HUGE part in light penetration. If you're "marginal" in any way less than perfectly clear water will greatly hamper your attempts.

BigJay

Bought maxima clam at about 3/4" 's nearly one year ago..Lighting is 6 x 54 current Nova extreme pro T5. Bulbs are giesemann and UVL. Clam distance from the light is 28" 's. Clams current size is approx just over 2" 's maybe getting close to 3" 's. Once settled in place after a couple weeks clam has not moved as if to seek out more light.

BigJay

btw with my set up any SPS placed within 12" 's of the light have had severe bleachings issues except for my orange monti cap whose colors have become very very deep almost burnt orange.

BigJay

sorry for the triple post but it must be said that I don't let my bulbs get old. I notice a massive reduction in visible light within the first 6 weeks. At around 6 months they seem to have another shift. Thats aftermarket good bulbs.. the stock bulbs appear to start color shifting within the first 2 months and it should be noted.. in the abcense of any scientific meters to tell me/you otherwise most stock bulbs should be considered temporary and best replaced immediately and save the stock bulbs for back ups if a bulb goes down and you need just something there tell the new bulbs arrive.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
btw with my set up any SPS placed within 12" 's of the light have had severe bleachings issues except for my orange monti cap whose colors have become very very deep almost burnt orange.

BigJay I had forgotten until I read your post above but I lost about 95% of a beautiful SPS when I placed it under my T5's to close. It came from a frag tank that had MH's (no telling the age of the bulbs there) and the SPS bleached and lost all but the very tip of one "Stick".

electraglide999

Sounds like I can make this happen. I am looking at icecap ballasts with 6 SLR x54w bulbs. Then place the clam in a well lite area. When I had my 120 set up I did notice that the T5 covered the tank better than my 2x150 MH. My current reef in 14 inches deep.

BigJay

BigJay I had forgotten until I read your post above but I lost about 95% of a beautiful SPS when I placed it under my T5's to close. It came from a frag tank that had MH's (no telling the age of the bulbs there) and the SPS bleached and lost all but the very tip of one "Stick".

I wish I could explain it. Unfortunatly I lack the knowledge to express why some SPS even coming from tanks where they are placed very close to metal halides where the PAR ratings are 3 to 4x's that of the T5's and they bleach under the T5's. I've got a few guesses but thats all they are is guesses.
Sorry if I drifted off track of the topic at hand. I love that your starting with Icecap ballasts. Just be aware of the over drive factor with them. At only 14" 's it would seem to me that you could very easily over power your tank with that set up. Let us know how it works out for you.