Clams - Need Quick Advice

ivyvine1

I just received these clams for Christmas. I've had them for two days now and this is the most they are opening. I have florescent lighting that's why they are at the top. Is this normal or should they be opening more?? I also have one peppermint shrimp :( that usually stays at the bottom .... have not seen him up there yet. Any comments??

Thank you!

Attachments

• Clams.jpg
    Clams.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 30

Witfull

hi Ivy,

first question and it may sound funny....did you burp them? clams can trap air inside of there body when taken out of water during transiton form bag to tank. what type of flouresent lighting? if its not bright enough they will be retracted.

ivyvine1

Thanks for your quick reply!! Burp them ?? No ..... is it too late? If you are serious, how do I do it now?? As far as lighting, I was hoping no one would get technical :) . Although, I am sure there is enough lighting because the during the summer the tank gets very warm and the person who helped me set up this new 90gal made sure of it.

Yarr

fluro lighting is in the majority of the time not enough light for most reef applications.

Witfull

if they havent attached to the rocks yet, gently roll them over length wise towards the bisal opening.(foot)

how many bulbs are on the tank?

Witfull

there is also some info out by D. Knopp about rubbing the clams shell before placement and it causes them to acclimate faster and better. im at work right now and the book is at home. ill look it up when i get home at 1am eastern.

WayneL333

I'm sorry to say, IMO the lighting is insufficient and those clams will eventually die. You need more intense lighting than fluro lighting for clams.

Witfull

ok,,,we have 460 watts of VHO. now this tells me,,,it might be to bright for them. they may have been under lower wattage where they came from.

do they open more when the main light go on and just the blue lights are on?