Clam placement

Cisco Kid

I'm currently looking into buying a couple of clams. The one is a Squamosa and the other is a Crocea. I plan on putting them in a 125 gal reef setup with 520 watts of pc lights. Where in your opinions should I place the clams at in the tank ( bottom on sand bed or midway on the rocks. Tank size is 48 X 24 X 24. All input would be appreciated>

Witfull

Crocea like to sit on rock and are high light clams, so for him higher up in the tank. Squamosa require less light than Crocea and like a sandy foothold.

gmcrow

Imho the pc lights will not have enough par for the Crocea to do well, even placed high in the tank, they are extremely light demanding especially over 3" in size

Kensn

The more colorful the clam, the more light it needs I have read from Barry at Clam's Direct.

jcoopergd

my understanding is that the only clams you might get away with are derusa's and squamossa's.....maximas and croceas (i cant spelll!!) are not gonna be good choices without MH's...

ive had a derusa for over a year, and it has been doing great in my 192w pc setup on a 40 gal..
1367clam.JPG

j

SCIFI_3D_zoo

Hey JCOOPERGD. I noticed in your pic, don't mean to derail the thread but let me ask, that you have some SUN CORALS next to your clam. They don't seem to be in the shadows either. If you want you can PM me but tell me how long you've had those, you keep them in shade or not, how do you feedings, etc.?? I'm curious how hard they are to keep.