Claic's 29 Gal. First Timer Tank - Please give me advice!

It was not meant as an insult. I am trying to figure out just how serious you are. Some of the questions you ask are answered in the books. Sorry if I offended you. I hate to see people jump into this hobby with little or no knowledge and after spending several hundred dollars, if they are lucky, start losing everything.
Glad to hear you are reading and trying to learn.
Keep asking questions and seeking help, that is what these forums are for. I was not trying to discourage you. Good Luck.

Thanks and sorry once again to sound like a jackass. I am extremely serious about this hobby and I suppose the reason I ask certain questions that are in the book is because I would like ,I guess, a more in depth answer than just the brief overview the book may give me.

Today I added another 10 lbs of live rock and did close to a 5 gallon water change just to make sure the live rock could fit. Here is what it looks like.

DSCF1985.jpg

DSCF1983.jpg

DSCF1986.jpg

DSCF1987.jpg

DSCF1988-1.jpg

A few questions that I couldn't really find in the books. What is that green on my rocks I just bought from my LFS? It doesn't feel like algae it is actually very hard. Also, does water changes affect my cycle as in slowing it down?

I could be wrong and if so others will correct me. whst looks like to me, I'm seeing 4 different color coraline purple, green, red, and a tad bit of orange. but like i said if i'm wrong other's will correct me. :)

Nice rock structure your building there Claic Yuzolt. except the piece thats touching the glass on the left side, thats how it looks in the picture.

I could be wrong and if so others will correct me. whst looks like to me, I'm seeing 4 different color coraline purple, green, red, and a tad bit of orange. but like i said if i'm wrong other's will correct me. :)

Nice rock structure your building there Claic Yuzolt. except the piece thats touching the glass on the left side, thats how it looks in the picture.

Thanks man! :) So can i add more than 29 pounds of live rock ro my 29 pound tank?

Water Parameters at 2 weeks and 3 days.

pH - I'm thinking it is 8.0 or 8.2 hard to tell.

Temperature - 78-80 degrees

Salinity - 1.023

Nitrite - 0.2

Nitrate - 0

Ammonia - 0.8 its actually probably higher than that but my test cannot read that high. Is this too high for cycling?

Calcium - 420, I've read that 400-500 is ideal so should I be shooting for closer to 500 or more in the middle?

Last edited:

chipmunkofdoom2

Anything between 400 and 500 is good.

What kind of lighting do you have? Type is more important than spectrum in most cases.

like yungreefer said it's pointless to do a water change during the cycling process.

the cycling process the ammonia will spike and when it drops down to zero then the nitrites will spike and then drop. this is all part of the tank cycling. so no water changes during this time, let the tank do it's thing. Then once the tank had fully cycle then you can start your weekly water changes.

like yungreefer said it's pointless to do a water change during the cycling process.

the cycling process the ammonia will spike and when it drops down to zero then the nitrites will spike and then drop. this is all part of the tank cycling. so no water changes during this time, let the tank do it's thing. Then once the tank had fully cycle then you can start your weekly water changes.

Ah alright, I knew it had to spike but goodness it went WAY up lol. I'll post some more pics as the tank develops and give updates after awhile.

Another quick question. I have been reading up on feeding my fish once I get one and had a few questions that I felt needed a better explanation.

I am going for two clown fish as my first fish and was wondering how thats going to go. I am going to switch up with shrimp and pellets first and do i just drop the food down and they will come up and get it? I just feel like my lights will bind them so how do they find the food? Do Clown Fish need the turkey baster feeder approach or are they good with just dropping it inside?
Thanks.

Last edited:

bllfish

Thanks man! :) So can i add more than 29 pounds of live rock ro my 29 pound tank?

Water Parameters at 2 weeks and 3 days.

pH - I'm thinking it is 8.0 or 8.2 hard to tell.

Temperature - 78-80 degrees

Salinity - 1.023

Nitrite - 0.2

Nitrate - 0

Ammonia - 0.8 its actually probably higher than that but my test cannot read that high. Is this too high for cycling?

Calcium - 420, I've read that 400-500 is ideal so should I be shooting for closer to 500 or more in the middle?

I would not add too much rock. The corals you buy will be attached to rock. You can always add more later if you need it. Your rock work looks good except for the one touching the glass. You might want to move that one. It is better to keep the rock off the glass. Easier to clean and better flow.

I would not add too much rock. The corals you buy will be attached to rock. You can always add more later if you need it. Your rock work looks good except for the one touching the glass. You might want to move that one. It is better to keep the rock off the glass. Easier to clean and better flow.

Alright will do. My tank is covered in red diatoms now. The only problem I have is that I cleaned all the hair algae off of my first piece of live rock and now its starting to grow back which sucks. Here are my parameters.

Salinity - 1.023

pH - 8.0

Ammonia - 1.0

Nitrite - 1.5

Nitrate - 10