Claic's 29 Gal. First Timer Tank - Please give me advice!

depends on your tank and how fast your bacteria develops. how much liverock (lr) do you have in there?

I just finished reading your thread!

I have around 20 lbs of live rock inside right now.

Also I am reading several different numbers on where I should keep my salinity. One book says 35 while the kit I bought says 32 - 34. What do you guys go with?

Last edited:
Alright guys picture updates. I think this may be my red algae bloom but I'm not sure it would really help if you could tell me what it is. Also I just upgraded my lights to Coralife Aqualight 30" T5s. So this should be good enough to let me have coral and other things right? If you guys could help me out I'd really appreciate it. The red/brown stuff just appeared on our fake coral white thingy just over night if that helps.

DSCF1978.jpg

DSCF1980.jpg

DSCF1975.jpg

DSCF1976.jpg

yungreefer2410

can you give me some specfics of those lights? it seems like you would be good for some softies and some lps down the road a little. i keep my salinty at 1.025 but thats a different measuring method your using, i'm not sure what it should be at with that

can you give me some specfics of those lights? it seems like you would be good for some softies and some lps down the road a little. i keep my salinty at 1.025 but thats a different measuring method your using, i'm not sure what it should be at with that

Sure can it says I have one 10,000K 31 watt and one Actinic Bluelight 31 watt. Does this mean I can have a frogspawn, that is really what I want.

Also, can you tell me what you think the red/brown stuff is on my white fake coral?

well it look like with those lights I see softies and probably like i said probably a few lps's.

Also to know your salinity gravity. You might want to invest in a refractometer ( I think I spelled that correctly ).

then as far as your fake white coral, it does to me look like algea bloom is starting in the tank.

well it look like with those lights I see softies and probably like i said probably a few lps's.

Also to know your salinity gravity. You might want to invest in a refractometer ( I think I spelled that correctly ).

then as far as your fake white coral, it does to me look like algea bloom is starting in the tank.

Thank you very much.

Is frogspawn a soft or hard?

Is frogspawn a soft or hard?

Frogspawn is a lps.

from liveaquaria.com
The Frogspawn Coral is a large polyp stony coral (LPS) often referred to as the Wall, Octopus, Grape, or Honey Coral. Its polyps remain visible throughout both the day and night, resembling a mass of fish eggs or frog eggs, hence one of its common names Frogspawn. Its coloration is green or brown to tan in color. With its appearance and coloration it would make a nice addition to any reef aquarium.

yungreefer2410

lps- large polyp stony corals, sps- small polyp stoney coral, softies- no hard coral skeleton, just soft and it gets denser but not stoney

I also would like to know how much water flow I should have in my 30 gallon tank if I am planning on keeping Frogspawn and other corals like that. I have one Koralia 1, is that enough or do I need another?

Also does anyone know the name of a good book to get for corals and how to care for them? I got that other book I was supposed to get along with Saltwater Aquariums for Dummies lol.

yungreefer2410

it does not matter, what are your light specs and water parems? your not ready for corals yet, much less a frogspawn

bllfish

it does not matter, what are your light specs and water parems? your not ready for corals yet, much less a frogspawn

+100 - Apparently you are not hearing what we are trying to tell you. YOU MUST start to read up on reef keeping and salt water tanks. You will not be ready for fish or corals for at least two months - got it two months. You just cannot buy a tank put some salt water in it and start putting in corals and fish. They will not last a week. You have a lot of prep work to go through before you start to introduce life into your system.
You should not be depending on this forum for all the answers. You MUST start to get a basic knowledge of the hobby yourself or you will waste your money and our time. You must be ready to make a committment or you will be out of the hobby quickly. The people here have spent a lot of time and money gaining the experience they willingly give out. We all are eager to offer an opinion on whatever questions should arise but we also expect the question asker to be trying to understand the hobby.

+100 - Apparently you are not hearing what we are trying to tell you. YOU MUST start to read up on reef keeping and salt water tanks. You will not be ready for fish or corals for at least two months - got it two months. You just cannot buy a tank put some salt water in it and start putting in corals and fish. They will not last a week. You have a lot of prep work to go through before you start to introduce life into your system.
You should not be depending on this forum for all the answers. You MUST start to get a basic knowledge of the hobby yourself or you will waste your money and our time. You must be ready to make a committment or you will be out of the hobby quickly. The people here have spent a lot of time and money gaining the experience they willingly give out. We all are eager to offer an opinion on whatever questions should arise but we also expect the question asker to be trying to understand the hobby.

Alright first off I KNOW THAT. Not to sound like a jerk or anything but I've read that book you told me to get and another book. I ALSO KNOW that I cannot have any fish in my tank until after my tank finishes cycling and maybe a week or two after. I also know that I cannot have coral for several months. I am just asking simple things so I can be ready for when that day comes for the coral I would LIKE to keep not that I am going to go out buy and throw in you know? I have read several threads, two books now, and some of the questions I am asking are questions I am having trouble finding the answers for. WHY do you assume I am going to through fish into my tank tomorrow just because I am asking questions about the fish I would like to have in my tank down the road? The reason I am talking like this is because you are acting like I am a 12 year old kid just throwing water into a tank and throwing a goldfish in there and letting it die in salt water. I knew as soon as I set the tank up it would be almost 7-8 weeks before my fish could go in. I ask questions because I want to be sure of what I am doing, I spend my off time reading up these forums trying to gain the knowledge needed for the hobby and ask small questions to make sure I am getting the correct answers.

I was just wanting to know what light/flow was needed for the coral I want to keep so I can start saving for that equipment, so I don't try and put a coral in without knowing. I have searched on the internet for a place where I can find specific GPH and lights needed for corals but I can't find things like that so that is why I ask because it seems like you guys understand a lot more than I do.

As for my water parameters and lights specs I know my lights are one 10,000K 31 watt and one Actinic Bluelight 31 watt.

My salinity is at 1.023. My temperature at 78-80. My ammonia I think is .25 with Nitrate and Nitrite at 0. Now as for pH this is one of those things I need help with because using my test strips I find it hard to determine exactly what the color is supposed to match with. This is why I wanted to know how you guys test so I can get better at it.

Listen I am sorry for my rant but you have no idea how much I have been reading and studying this hobby over the past three weeks and for you to say that to me, I don't know, I guess it felt like an insult.

I really do appreciate your help though.

Thanks.

bllfish

It was not meant as an insult. I am trying to figure out just how serious you are. Some of the questions you ask are answered in the books. Sorry if I offended you. I hate to see people jump into this hobby with little or no knowledge and after spending several hundred dollars, if they are lucky, start losing everything.
Glad to hear you are reading and trying to learn.
Keep asking questions and seeking help, that is what these forums are for. I was not trying to discourage you. Good Luck.