Circulation q

Nascar99

Do you need to keep a power heat at the surface or will the water be oxygenated enough even if it's deep I the water

I have a 75 fowlr with one 1150gph powerhead. It's always been pointed at the surface but I found a better spot but it causes no surface agitation.

Your thoughts?

DaveK

A lot of this depends upon the rest of the filtration system.

If your using a sump and skimmer, your going to get plenty of gas exchange from that alone, so breaking up the water surface is not necessary. If your using a canister filter, for example, it's a sealed unit so there is little gas exchange.

If it really bothers you, it's easy enough to add a second small power head just to break up the water surface. Ideally it should be placed as far from the filtration system intake as possible.

blazend

If you only have 1 powerhead in the tank i would suggest another. I like the suggestion by Dave saying if you have a sump or canister filter that will handle some gas exchange.

I still suggest adding a powerhead to your system. I also use the 1150s. But in my 90 gallon i have 2 1150s on each end of tank 1 high and 1 low. Also i added a 520 sunsun to add gas exchange on the surface... I also run a sump.