Cindi32055

cindi32055

HI Everyone; Hope all of you hade a great holiday! I am slowly setting up my first saltwater tank. It is a 35 gal hex with all the toys. I think I made a mistake using a thick bed [5in.] of gravel in the botom. I wish I had used sand instead. About 40 lbs of live rock, and a total of 8 small damsel fish ,6 small crabs,red and blue, and 8 small assorted snails. I want to start with some small corals, soft corals, mushrooms and polyps. I really would like to buy a few LBS. of frags from someone reliable that has a lot of baby starters and watch them develop and grow. That would be much more interesting for me than spending big$$ on only a few pieces. I,m not in a rush, and really enjoy watching life develop. The only problem I have had so far was a hermit crab the kids named Crabby Patty. She ended up being a bulldozer that would move 5lb rocks and ate every snail in the place. She was returned to the aquarium store and put up for adoption. I replaced the crabs and snails with a smaller, kinder variety. Just to note, the tank has been set up for 6 months and I have had very few problems. Nice to meet you all. Cindi

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Welcome to RS Cindi :)
The potential problem I see with the gravel especially since it's a deep substrate is nitrate buildup because of food, detritus buildup. Is there any way to remove some of the gravel so it's not so deep, it'll be alot easier to clean. How do the Damsels get along ?