Chronicle to Christopher's 1st Reef Adventure!

lcstorc

Mine was a flameback not a flame. He did however develop a taste for LPS. They all can do that. He was fine for about a year and then I started noticing things declining. I think they are more likely to pic as they age or as they become comfortable. From what I hear the coral beauty is the least likely to. Beautiful fish and not horribly expensive. In fact I think our was quite reasonably priced.
The flames are a beautiful spach of vibrant color.
I know someone (I think Frankie) had a problem with a lemon-peel.

Craig Manoukian

Medium Coral Beauty $26.99 at LiveAquaria.com. Prone to nip soft corals, but with adequate feeding and lots of soft corals, nipping should be minimal.

GeeWizzItsMe

Thanks! I think a coral beauty is my option since my parents won't like a $50+ fish... There is an EXTREMELY beautiful one at an LFS, but I hope it doesn't get sold...

I bought a little frag of a monti-cap for only $10 today! I was thinking that my corals were doing reeeeeally well... I wanted an open brain, but I just didn't have the money lol... It broke into 2 pieces on the way home, so now I have 2 frags! Yay! I hope it grows... Pics soon!

Techno-Vicki

Congratulations Christopher! The coral beauty is an excellent choice. I have/had a couple. That is not a bad thing that the monti broke in two. You can glue them onto a rock and it will grow into a great coral.

GeeWizzItsMe

They are great! The bigger of the two broke again, so now it is three little pieces lol! I hope it will grow to a nice shelf! Can't wait till Christmas!!!!!! (I can't get the fish until after Christmas because I don't want to leave it alone for a week!)

kathywithbirds

nice, Christopher! I have a monti, plating kind (is that the same asa a monti "cap"?) It did nothing at all for MONTHS now it's growing steadily.

GeeWizzItsMe

Um.... I don't know if I'm getting the skimmer actually... I think my dad decided to get me a camera instead... I dunno!

GeeWizzItsMe

Also, I have done some reading and read that flame angels are much hardier species than the coral beauty, which can ship horribly and suddenly disease... This comes from "The Contientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert M. Fenner...

I don't exactly know where that puts me...

Melanie

Nice updates! Can't wait to see photos of your new monti(s).

If you aren't getting a skimmer for Christmas, you should take up one of the offers you got for a free skimmer. I know a few people were offering to help you out.

I've missed reading your posts! So happy to see the updates.

GeeWizzItsMe

Duh! I forgot about those! I'll PM Michael and stuff...

Here are some pictures! You might like them Melanie!!!

From this
melaniezoas.jpg

To this
melanierules.jpg

And now this! With the free button polyps that have yet to color up...
itsbritneyYALL.jpg

From this (and sometimes much worse)
madtoad.jpg

to this (and most of the time much better!)
ooooooooooohsnap.jpg

Here is the rock where 2 out of the 3 monti frags are! the other one is not in a photogenic area...
byotch.jpg

Here is a picture of my suuuuuuuuuuuper red shrimp!
fergaliciousdef.jpg

FTS!! You can see how much the little mushroom in the corner has grown!
africaaaa.jpg

GeeWizzItsMe

Haha! Thanks! It is my dad's Canon Eos 30D, but I want a personal slim point-and-shoot for fun and stuff... He is not about spending money for a protein skimmer because a stupid LFS told him I don't need one, and my dad won't listen to me...

goldenmean

Your Tank looks great!
I really really like those zoanthids - Its colors reallu POP at you!

He is not about spending money for a protein skimmer because a stupid LFS told him I don't need one, and my dad won't listen to me...

You should start a voting thread here on RS on the necessity or importance of a Skimmer. Maybe your Dad would listen to RS???