Chrissy's RSM 250

ChrissyGil

Here ya go Diana! Sorry for the long absence. Most everything has a good amount of growth now, except for a few missing pieces. I got monti eating nudibranches and lost the battle on the cap combo. For now, I replaced it with my red and blue-green chalice, but I would like to start over on the caps once I'm sure the little bastards are gone. I also lost my red sponge and my yellow and red gorg. I'm not sure why. Everything else seems to be doing fantastic :)

The acros out of water...

Big Pete

Hi Chrissy

your tank looks awesome well done, i started my RSM250 in April and i am just about ready to put in some fish within the next few weeks and cant wait.

cheers

Big pete

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Super AMAZING update...love the pictures :geekin:
Very beautiful colors! What do you dose? Did you use manual removal of the Nudibranchs?
I'm just now going to try figure out dosing...anything you can share is appreciated!

ChrissyGil

Super AMAZING update...love the pictures :geekin:
Very beautiful colors! What do you dose? Did you use manual removal of the Nudibranchs?
I'm just now going to try figure out dosing...anything you can share is appreciated!
Thank you! I use Bulk Reef Supply 2 part to dose. I recently used the new chemipure blue instead of elite and it doesn't suck up the alk the way the elite does. Before using it, I would have to dose 50 ml a day of the alk. Now I'm not sure of the dosage, because I wasn't aware that it would change and my alk went too high. The corals look and grow their best at 8 dkh and it is hanging around 10 right now. Calcium and magnesium, I only dose if I test low for them, but since I (most of the time) do weekly 15-20 gallon water changes, it's usually not needed.
The nudis were hell! I took the whole combo out and dipped it often, sucked the ones I could see out every morning, they would come back, so I bought a melanurus wrasse, chopped up the caps, put them in qt and kept dipping the pieces in Bayer, lugols, all out, coral rx, revive...nothing got the eggs and they kept hatching. I finally just ditched the rest of the pieces. I haven't seen any in a while and my setosa and digitatas are doing well, so I'm hoping that they're gone and I can start over in a couple of months.

clairebear

Thank you! I use Bulk Reef Supply 2 part to dose. I recently used the new chemipure blue instead of elite and it doesn't suck up the alk the way the elite does. Before using it, I would have to dose 50 ml a day of the alk. Now I'm not sure of the dosage, because I wasn't aware that it would change and my alk went too high.

Thanks for the info Chrissy, I did not know that either, and I have been wondering how I am using so much alk.

CDMSeaLife

Wow absolutely beautiful, you're my new hero! Interesting about Chemi Pure Elite vs Blue, because I'm just about to switch over to Blue from Elite.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Some really amazing corals in there Chrissy :) You really should be proud of how happy they all are and the fish look fantastic :yup:
What happened to all of your clams though?? You had a heck of a collection :)

Pat24601

I'm not sure which makes me more depressed. Diana's battle with bryopsis because it makes me fear I'll get it or the pictures of your tank because it's truly awesome and I know mine will never look that cool. :)

Nice work!

ChrissyGil

Some really amazing corals in there Chrissy :) You really should be proud of how happy they all are and the fish look fantastic :yup:
What happened to all of your clams though?? You had a heck of a collection :)
Thank you! I'm not sure what was wrong with the clams, they just started dying one by one and I couldn't save them :( I found out that my powder blue was the one nipping at them, but I'm not sure if that would stress them out enough to kill them or if there was a disease that went through the tank. I have a big blue maxima and 3 babies in my 29 gallon, but they are nothing like the ones that I lost.

How long are your acros out of water? Is this just a few minutes during a water change? I've wondered about how mine will react if I let them go dry for a few minutes during my weekly water change. Thanks.

Yes, it's just for a few minutes. I drain water into 4 buckets during a water change and then refill it right back up with saltwater from my brute. This time I thought that it looked cool so I went and got my camera, snapped a couple of pics and then filled it back up. I would say 5 minutes max, but probably shorter.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Thank you! I'm not sure what was wrong with the clams, they just started dying one by one and I couldn't save them :( I found out that my powder blue was the one nipping at them, but I'm not sure if that would stress them out enough to kill them or if there was a disease that went through the tank. I have a big blue maxima and 3 babies in my 29 gallon, but they are nothing like the ones that I lost.

You deserve it :) I'm really sorry to hear that :( I would be absolutely devastated if I lost my maxima, the powder blue could have been enough but sometimes we don't know, hopefully you don't have anymore clam losses though!! At least you still have some clams :) They really are some of my favourite creatures :yup:

Danreef

Beautiful tank !!! same comment when I saw it personally. Due to that visit to your house to pick up the small blue acro frag I finish having a RSM 250. This is my thread : http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...lub/91241-daniels-tank-upgrade-rsm-250-a.html

BTW..... This is today your blue acro frag. Still small but now in the RSM 250 with a lot of new polyps that will produce branches. It has incrusted all around the plug and now is producing new branches. It is located at the top of the rocks, in the middle and back of the tank. I had to use all the phone camera zoom to get that picture and is slightly out of focus....sorry.

Cheers
Daniel

Last edited:

Danreef

Beautiful tank !!! same comment when I saw it personally. Due to that visit to your house to pick up the small blue acro frag I finish having a RSM 250. This is my thread : http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...lub/91241-daniels-tank-upgrade-rsm-250-a.html

BTW..... This is today your blue acro frag. Still small but now in the RSM 250 with a lot of new polyps that will produce branches. It has incrusted all around the plug and now is producing new branches. It is located at the top of the rocks, in the middle and back of the tank. I had to use all the phone camera zoom to get that picture and is slightly out of focus....sorry.

Cheers
Daniel

After almost a year, I had an issue with Ca and I lost the frag due to STN. It was a very sad time.

Daniel

ChrissyGil

So sorry, Daniel :( I lost the whole colony due to an alk issue. It's a sensitive one for sure. I have another blue one, but not as vibrant.