Choice of Sand for RSM 130D

MCDM

Hello all, it's been a long time since I've posted. I just recently moved and decided to use the opportunity to start a new sand bed in my tank. My old SB was about 5 years old, and was really nasty, causing high levels of nitrates. I tossed it all away and the tank is currently running with a bare bottom.

I'm planning on doing a shallow sand bed (20lbs bag?) of Caribsea. I'd like to go with the finest grain possible without it getting kicked up by my mp10 (which I run pretty strong). I've read oolite is too fine. Anyone find a nice grain that doesn't stir while offers sand dwellers a place to bury?

Appreciate the help as always.

Morgan

I have Fiji Pink in mine and it is generally ok but does move around at times. I rarely have an issue with my MP10....it is usually the main pump that stirs thinks up as it is a more concentrated stream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thedru13

In my RSM 250 i used Tropic Eden Tonga Reeflakes live sand. Love it!! its a bit bigger and doesn't blow around much. Really happy with this. I used to use the Fiji pink live sand as well but so far happy witht he switch.

mtsully71

Cant really go wrong with any of this, just pick your flavor

http://www.caribsea.com/pages_caribsea/page_product_aragonite.html

I, as many others have used
  • Seaflor™ Special Grade Reef Sand
    Typical Size: 1.0 - 2.0 mm
    Average Density: 85 lb/ft3

110x180_aragonite_specialgradereef.gif

MCDM

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm going to go with Fiji Pink. One, I do prefer the smaller grain, and two, I managed to find a great deal on a bag.