Chocolate Chip Starfish...compatibility issues...

chum

I have two inverts, a pencil urchin and a choc. chip star in a FOWLR 55 gal. tank. What other inverts -urchins- starfish etc. would be compatible? The choc. chip is the most aggressive in the tank.

'lil story: It He crawled over a red Atlantic starfish half his size, and dissolved the whole thing.
He also pounced on a large Haitian Atlantic anemone. I kinda thot THAT would happen, It only cost $3:50, and was killing small fish in the reef. (THAT satisfied him for a week)
But I didn't like when it hovered over a newly bought sea egg urchin, despite all the sharp spines and sucked the insides out in less than 24 hours after purchase. :verymad: (it happened overnite). I've read choc. chip don't live long, and die of starvation, but this guy has lived over 3 years and is a voracious eater.

picture of the choc. chip on the glass:
SaltwaterAquarium3-6-07005.jpg

Does anyone else have choc. chip starfish in their fish only tanks and what other inverts do you have in their tank? I know they are NOT REEF SAFE. I wonder if he would eat the pencil urchin, if the pencil wasn't hiding in between the rock all the time. Thanks for your input...

Witfull

they are not reef safe and any non-mobile or slow mobile invert is fair game to them.

framerguy

IME they live a long time, I had one well over 5 years before I switched to a reef tank and got rid of him. You could try a Protoreaster linki. Choc chip is P. nodusa. You could have a battle of the stars and see who comes out on top.