Chiton???

Kirblit

I saw this guy the other night when I was doing a night check on the tank so I snapped a few pictures. I don't know how big it really is but it was sticking out about 3/4 of an inch or so and was about 1/4 - 3/8" wide. I saw him again in the same hole of the same rock last night and he wasn't all the way out again.

IMG_2808.jpg

IMG_2810.jpg

Kirblit

It doesn't really appear to have a shell of any kind though so I don't know. The Zoa's havn't been effected by him or anything else in the tank for that matter so I don't think it's causing any problems, but I would like to know what it is. My tank is about a year old and I haven't added any rock since then, and have never seen any problems with coral ect..

goldenmean

Yes it is a chiton.
Here is one that was in my nano for over a year.
These pics are in my gallery.
chiton.png

This one was when he was totally out of the rock just days before he died.
Chilton-RIP.jpg

Kirblit

Good to hear, I just didn't know because they usually have the 8 piece shell. Hopefully I will be able to get a better look at him tonight. I know that they eat algae but I would think that he would move around more in the tank, I guess there is enough coralline algae on that rock to suffice for him.

goldenmean

I rarely saw mine. When i did it was in the middle of the night when the lights were off and I was checking out the tank with a flash light. Otherwise he was just deep in the rock work.

reefjitsu

Those types of chitons are know to sometimes travel over the same paths daily and return to the same holes time after time. So much so, that they can actually create tracks and grooves in the live rock. Given enough time and the right conditions they can create some really gnarly looking pieces of LR.

Kirblit

Those types of chitons are know to sometimes travel over the same paths daily and return to the same holes time after time. So much so, that they can actually create tracks and grooves in the live rock. Given enough time and the right conditions they can create some really gnarly looking pieces of LR.

Interesting