Chiller pump for E170 rear sump

Apologies if this has been asked before..

I am looking to add a chiller to my MAX E170, and I was wondering what pump will actually fit in the rear sump for this? It looks like the top section of the media rack is where the pump is supposed to sit.

I've read the those with the C250 use the Eheim 3000 compact, but the sump layout on that tank is a little bigger, so I wasn't sure if that's the correct pump to go with on an E170.

Thanks!

DaveK

More to the point, what sort of problems are you having that requires a chiller to solve? Often you want to try everything else first, before you invest in a chiller. Often adding a fan to increase evaporative cooling will be enough to resolve the problem Chillers are fairly expensive and will throw additional heat and noise into the room.

Do everything else first, before you get a chiller. Many times your better off spending the money in other places in your system. For example, replacing the lighting, if your don't hsve LED lighting, or replacing the pumps you already have with more efficient ones will often go a long way toward not needing a chiller.

I'm running everything stock from RedSea, the exception of a Gyre I added. The lights are Hydra LEDs.

The tank keeps a normal temperature of 78-79, but I use a Nest thermostat for my A/C. To get the ECO benefits of using a Nest, during the summer I have the indoor temp go up to 78 before the A/C kicks on... That causes the tank temp to rise to 84-85 degrees during the day. As long as my ambient room temp is 70-74, I don't have any issues with the temp in the tank.

The chiller would just allow me to use the Nest the way it is intended to be used.

DaveK

If you have a room temp of 78, and your tank is getting up to 85, I'd first look for other sources of heat in the tank. Mostly this is going to be the pumps. Check each one to see how much power they consume. You also might find an issue with the lights addind heat, but I doubt that, due to them being LEDs. While that's not an extreme case, your tank shouldn't be getting quite that warm.

You might also find that a small fan blowing air over the water surface may do quite a bit.