Chiller on Red Sea 650

I have a question for all the 650 peeps about your chillers. We have a 1/3 hp jbj chiller being fed by a mag18 pump. The pump supplies water to the chiller and the biopellet reactor. There are ball valves that control the flow to each component. My question is, how long should the chiller run? I have it set up on my apex controller to kick on at 79.1 and to kick off at 78.9. My temp probe is in the first chamber in the sump where the water flows down from the dt. The chiller will kick on a couple of times per hour during the peak heat of the day with all lights on. It takes it about 15-20 minutes to cool the water down .2 of.a degree. Is this normal? Do I have too much flow going through the chiller? Do little? It just seems like the chiller has to stay on a long time before the temp starts decreasing.

Matt

Sorry to hijack your thread. Im interested in purchasing the s650 and the exact same chiller. I was just wondering if that chiller is loud or quiet? As my DT will be in my tv room. Thanks

Nob35

I have mine set to kick on at 79.5 and go off at 78.8. It runs about 2 to 3 times a day when ambient stays around 74 all day. I have a water blaster 5000 supplying it so would believe I have around 750 to 850 gph going through it. I have not played with the flow to know if I have it set at the best levels but at most my chiller runs 1.5 hrs a day. Most of the time probably only 45mins to a hour combined.

Nob35

Sorry to hijack your thread. Im interested in purchasing the s650 and the exact same chiller. I was just wondering if that chiller is loud or quiet? As my DT will be in my tv room. Thanks

Mine is directly behind my sofa and with me sitting in front of it watching tv when it kicks on I only have to turn the TV up maybe 1 or 2 on the TV. It is noticeable when first turning on but after a minute I do not even hear it, as it just becomes background noise.

Nob35

Yes the LEDs help but I do think I'm running close to the stock setup with the heat I'm getting off of the UV as before the chiller with just the UV my temps were around where everyone with the stock setup was at.

Choff

Matt, it sounds like your chiller is operating perfectly. From what I have read if your water goes out of parameter the chiller is expected to run 15-20 min/ hour. Mine actually stays on almost full time during mid-day when all 10 bulbs are burning, but that is a product of poor air flow in the tank room. That should be a thing of the past now that I put in my LED's. They have been on for 3 hours now and they are still cool to the touch whereas I can almost burn myself on my hood when all 10 bulbs are firing.

You probably do this too, but I also set the chiller parameters outside the range of the APEX for redundancy in case the apex goes haywire. Same with my heaters (that I don't think have ever kicked on).

Matt, it sounds like your chiller is operating perfectly. From what I have read if your water goes out of parameter the chiller is expected to run 15-20 min/ hour. Mine actually stays on almost full time during mid-day when all 10 bulbs are burning, but that is a product of poor air flow in the tank room. That should be a thing of the past now that I put in my LED's. They have been on for 3 hours now and they are still cool to the touch whereas I can almost burn myself on my hood when all 10 bulbs are firing.

You probably do this too, but I also set the chiller parameters outside the range of the APEX for redundancy in case the apex goes haywire. Same with my heaters (that I don't think have ever kicked on).

That makes me feel better. A lot of people I have talked to say it should only kick on for about 5-10 minutes each time. Mine is running about 30-40 minutes an hour right now. Just to cool it .2. We keep the house at 72. I'm thinking about getting some kind of fan to help the airflow in the sump area. I bet its 85-90 down there.

I have burned myself many times on the hood. Those t5s are damn hot.

Matt

Choff

Sump fan should help a lot. You can wire that into your APEX too if you don't want to run it all the time.

I'm hoping my issues are solved between the LED's and with 165 gallons of water in my nice cool basement (125G sump + 40G frag tank). It better be because my 1/3 JBJ is now under-sized for my 300+ gallon system. I'm still going to hook it up, but really don't expect it to be kicking on at all.