Chiller Maintenance

Fyi

I needed to replace my accessory port on my RSM 250 today, so I decided to flush my chiller and wow was there lots of crud when I flushed it out. I also replaced the plastic hoses, so i would advise performing this maintenance at least once a year.

Two buckets, one filled with clean water RODI or tap with a pump on the inflow and the outflow going to an empty bucket. Once you flush it tilt the chiller to get the remaining water out. I did this process twice.

Norm

Thanks For the info. Mine is only 4 months old but so will only be giving it a clean later in the year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I just installed my chiller a couple of weeks ago, now I think I need to read about maintenance and see if it tells me that I need to do this & "how to" for my JBJ. Good that you checked it & got it cleaned out. Thanks for letting us know by this post! I will plan to do a flush & clean in a few months also.

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
I wonder how that crud has a chance to build up. My pump runs 24/7 through the chiller, even when the chiller is not running and the instructions say not to let the chiller run without the pump running. Seems like the constant running of the pump would prevent crud from building up.

I would guess as bio film and calcified build up happens stuff would stick to it. Which would make me think only loose stuff is coming out with the additional flow from less of head loss. So the problem may still be there. Probably not a problem to the tank but build up would have to impede heat transfer.

Filling a bucket with a vinegar solution and run that through overnight would work unless someone knows a reason not to do that.

-JOHN

I did the same thing this year it was nasty.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

My chiller was also nasty, smelled like rotten eggs! My JBJ sits within the cabinet, so the headflow is not as great with all the 90 degree turns, even though the Eheim 5000 Compact + pump I use has the recommended waterflow required. After flushing it twice, tilting the chiller over to get the remaining water get all the loose gunk out.

Highly recommended!

Choff

Mmmm guess ill add this to the to do list. Thanks for the post to put this on my radar. Mines been running for about 9 months.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

mtsully71

Since all you need get to cleaning your chillers, do not forget your inline UV sterilizers. I have seen where a few reefers have used them.

Just thought I would throw that in here :)