Chiller maintenance for my C-130

Orlando-Jeff

I have a chiller running for my C-130. It's been running for over a year with no problems. Cools just fine. I've done a lot of reading from others stating that yearly maintenance on chiller's is a must. The thought of disconnecting all the tubing and taking the chiller out is not something I would look forward to doing. Am I inviting trouble in the future if I don't backwash the chiller with a vinegar solution to clean out the internal tubing of the the chiller?

DaveK

It's best you do this clean out. A lot of things can grow inside a pipe over time. The other way to approach the problem is see if you can cool the tank by other means. If you can, then you don't need a chiller.

On my own reef, I had MH lighting. No matter what you do this does produce a lot of heat. I needed a chiller at the time. Once I switched to LED lighting, the chiller almost never comes on. There were other things that helped too, such as switching to DC controllable pumps. They also produce much less heat.

Orlando-Jeff

Hello Dave.
I do run LED's but still need the chiller to keep the temp at 78. I'm sure having 3 pumps running in the sump doesn't help with the heat problem. My house is always kept at 78 even in the summer. The chiller comes on once an hour though.