Chemistry Question.

Mebigloser

Just did my weekly check on my 75 gallon reef, here's the results.

Ammonia-0
Calcium-460
KH-100 mg/L or 5.6dH
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-5<, hardly any reading.
PH-8.5-8.6

What do I need to work on and how do I go about to fix it.
The tank has been setup just a little over a year.

Thanks Mebigloser (Ron)

wooddood

the wood dude
hey ron!how does everything look in the tank?your readings sound ok to me.hopefully mojo will see this post and respond.have a great day and dont forget the game at 3.

Mebigloser

Here's an updated pic, working really hard on the algae..Algae is my fault, used the wrong water about a week ago.. paying dearly for it.

Maxx

your alkalinity seems low for your calcium levels...but I'm not a chemist. Have you PM'd Boomer about this? He's another big Chemistry nut....
Nick

ReefLady

Staff member
As Nick said, you alk is a bit low - also, pH is a bit high.

With a calcium level of 460, your (dKH) should be about 13-15.
pH should fall in the range of 7.9 (lowest) to 8.3 (highest).

But ... your tank looks fantastic. I'm not sure I'd be looking for any "quick fixes". You might just want to do a couple 20%-'ish water changes, and see where you fall.

What kind of test kits are you using? You may want to have the alk (& cal) reading(s) verified by your LFS?

Tank is awesome!

Mebigloser

I just did a 30 gallon water change 2 days ago,20 gallons 3 days ago, the reason for the water changes was I used the wrong water (phosphate city...) and was trying to get the phosphates back down. My tank is very stable and runs at the readings I have posted except for fluctuations in my calcium. The Ph has always been around 8.5-8.7 and my alk always runs around 5.6 (100). I am using Hagen test kits which are readly available to me, should I update my test kits to another brand and how should I go about to bring my PH down and Alk up?

Thanks so much, Ron

Maxx

First thing I'd do is get a set of Salifert test kits. They are among the best test kits out there, and generally are among the most accurate. your test kits may not be accurate and could be giving you false readings. The reason I say this is because your tank looks great, and generally things are unhappy w/ higher pH levels. Lower Alk levels indicate that your tank should be out of balance, but unless you're having trouble maintaining your calcium, Id suspect your test kit isnt caibrated properly. Take a sample of your water to the LFS and get them to do a series of tests to verufy your test kits accuracy.
Nick

Gina

RS STAFF
Ron,
Just curious...what is the name of the coral in the middle or third from the left?

Mebigloser

Maxx,
I was wondering if it might be my test kits, I will update them as soon as I can...I am wanting to upgrade to a bigger tank so I am trying to get this one right so I will understand how to correct problems...

Maxx

Originally posted by wooddood
nick ron works a lfs in a nearby city thats why he uses the test kits they sell.
Ahhh.......:eek:
well....then could you double check your test results against some of the shop's kits?
Nick

Gina

RS STAFF
Thanks Ron,
I'm gonna have to look that one up! I really liked it! I wish I knew more about the Chem thing so I could help you out some:( But, am following thread to see what others say!

Mebigloser

Gina,
I am also looking a another one of these babies, if you could see it close up it is just awesome. I hope to be able to frag it soon...It is starting to branch in 3 new ways....