Chemipure mess

:surrender: Hi , I havent used chemipure in a long time, Ive had FW before my current tank. The bottle says rinse lightly, well a minute later its still black coming from the bag, I put it in my filter and a black cloud is now in my tank, I removed it right away.. I now have some seachem purigen running also, will this clear my tank ? Will WC only do it ? After I use up my chemipure its carbon for me, what a pain...

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
I did that once. Your skimmer will pull it out. It will foam something terrible, but the foam will be pulling it out

acemow

Ditto above. I use Chemi-pure elite in my TLF phosban reactor, I rinse in RO water, and running it through a sump makes a difference. It does clear up pretty quickly. I'd make sure there is filter floss taking up all space around the pack of chemi-pure, too, that also helps

GlassMunky

I just got some of the chemi-oure elite and put it in my media basket and it did the same thing, the whole tank is brownish and cloudy. This is normall though???? what is the brown stuff, its now covering my glass and rocks and looks like there was a massive "algea" outbreak? do i need to clean off my rocks and sandbed now? This stuff is weird......

Shamus

I think the orange stuff is the GFO in the Chemipure Elite. That should clear up with some filter floss too.

GlassMunky

What is GFO? It comes in a nylon bag..... i should get some of this floss stuff and put that around it too???? The tank water is clearing up, but the rocks and sand are still all brownish.....

Shamus

GFO stands for granular ferric oxide - it's the part of the chemipure elite that binds and sponges up phosphates. The filter floss is just another way to remove particles (it's a mechanical filtration). There should be some place in your system to run a piece of filter floss to basically catch any floating particles - not sure about your setup, but sometimes there is a sponge filter or piece of filter floss associated with some of the filtration apparatus somewhere in your tank. You don't have to wrap the bag of chemipure elite with the floss, just need the floss somewhere in your filtration system to catch the particulate matter.

Shamus

As for the rocks and sand - you can blow the rocks off with a turkey baster (not one you plan on or have already used for cooking :) ) and the sand you can clean up by vacuuming during a water change.

fellers

I actually rinsed mine pretty thoroughly and it is doing its job and never made a cloud. I got in touch with company and inquired about it after I rinsed lightly and black was still Pouring out something fierce.