Chemi-Clean Question...

Mike Johnson

Okay, a little spin to the question. The active ingredient in Chemiclean is erythromycin; an antibiotic. It will kill bacteria non selectively. Claiming that it will eradicate only the bad bacteria is irresponsible. Eliminating the bacteria in a tank will cause one of the other nutrient consumers to increase. Like dinoflagellates or algae.

The Red Slime (Ocillitoria) consumes organic particulates (detritus). So the tank in question will still have the issue of excess organics to deal with even after all the bacteria that consume it are gone.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
On the back of the box it says DOES NOT CONTAIN: Algaecides, Erythromycin Succinate or Phosphates?

Mike Johnson

A lot of people have used it successfully. I guess it also says on the box to repeat dosage once a month? I'm still refreshing my memory on antibiotics. It might not have ethyl (succinate) (poisonous to invertebrates) in it, but what other antibiotic is it? I guess it's a well guarded secret. Can't believe no one's tested it to see what the antibiotic in it is? But, I digress to the first sentence.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I'll be sure to report any ill effects on his tank:)

I just hope he's not planning on using it like a antacid for the tank...lol